SMASH Beers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Happy new year all.

I'm planning on hitting the ground running in 2023 and I'm wondering what the general consensus is regarding how I will plan out 3 SMASH beers using different hops in each (same grain bill in all).
I have made my recipe on Brewfather for the first but my question is for hop usage in the next two. Should I copy the hop schedule for the same weight or alter to get the same IBU in each?
I'm not sure what's the best method for the like-for-like comparison I'm trying to achieve.

Cheers.

I don't use brewing software but I do do lots of pale ales and smashes. Fair to say they are very forgiving with regard to hop quantities. Too little and you've got a modern style pale ale, way too much and you've got a Victorian style PA.
Just be careful if you're using something like admiral which is very high AA.

I got 3 x 1kg bags of Citra, Simcoe & El Dorado in the Black Friday sales. Wasn't planning on doing this but then seen a few YouTube videos about it and thought I'd give it a go.
Just going to use Crisp best ale malt, hops (for the start of boil, flame out & dry hop) and Kviek Voss. Hoping to get them all done and bottled in three weeks (only 1 fermenter ATM 😓).

I did 175g on a 80c Whirlpool for 30 mins and a 3 day 25g dry hop in my 21ltr El Dorado IPA

Because Flameout and dry hop gives more IBU/Perceived bitterness so I do Whirlpool at 80c or less to keep the Bitterness lower and a smaller dry hop as it can give more IBU units and perceived bitterness. That way I can stuff more hops in and keep it at a lower bitterness for my palate

More reading on my part is needed but don't flame out/whirlpool and dry hop additions add hardly any bitterness compared to say a 60 minute addition?
I've been playing about with whirlpooling and flame out additions and I don't notice much difference. That might be down to my brewzilla. It's pretty stuffed with the cooling coil in there.

I do even do bittering hops anymore for the majority of beers.
You will be surprised how much IBU/Bitterness you can get with Flameout/whirlpool and dry hopping when you are wanting to put loads of hops in for a IPA.
Some Brewing recipe builders do not allow for this so I would read the threads in the forum that have been posted previously and make your own opinion, it also depends on how susceptible to bitterness you are too as some people are highly tolerant and some low so a 40 IBU beer can be too much for some but also beer balancing comes into play too as you could taste 2 beers with the same IBU's and some will be smooth and others too bitter

Also bitterness from flameout hops will vary with such things as how quickly you cool your brew. I no chill so I get quite a lot as I just let the brew settle for half an hour before draining the wort off. Its not much below 100° by then.

El Dorado smash is my go to smash IPA.
Check out my brew thread, must have done this one about 5 times now and it never fails to impress!
ooh nice, I have some el dorado as part of a multipack.

looking to put my first brew of 2023 on his week. Of course I'm having to resist the temptation to call it Happy new Beer wink...

Latest posts

Back