SMASH Beers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also bitterness from flameout hops will vary with such things as how quickly you cool your brew. I no chill so I get quite a lot as I just let the brew settle for half an hour before draining the wort off. Its not much below 100° by then.
I tend to chill quickly, take out the chiller and let the whirlpool arm do its thing for a while. Seems to work for me but I'm still newish to brewing and could be making an **** of it. Ground water in NI always knocks off the first 20-30C pretty quickly.

El Dorado smash is my go to smash IPA.
Check out my brew thread, must have done this one about 5 times now and it never fails to impress!
Could you put your recipe for the El dorado smash on here for me please mate , love this hop and would love a crack at it 👍

No problem. I've added some torrified oats just to give it a bit more mouth feel so it's no longer a true smash. Going to brew it tomorrow.
Screenshot_20230107-111408.png
Screenshot_20230107-111418.png

Set everything up this morning, turned on the BZ and left the kitchen for 20 minutes. Came back and that El Dorado smells amazing. The Best Ale malt and torrified oats give a beautiful light colour in the mash.
I'm really looking forward to this one.

Could you share the recipe please 👍
AG 101
El Dorado IPA

I have plenty of ale and saison in the cellar, but the big bold IPA stocks are running low. So time to get a batch on for a typical easy drinking session IPA. Its been a while since i did an El Dorado IPA, which is one of my favourite american hops. Most people tend to use eld dorado as part of a more complex hop addition, but I find it stands up perfectly well used on its own, letting the big sweet stonefruit flavours come through, without being challenged by piney or citrus secondary hops.

3.5kg Maris Otter
75gm crystal 145ebc

20l mash at 65C for 60mins, and a 3l 'dunked in a bucket for 10 mins' sparge
Leaving 20l wort for a 30 minute boil (just for you @moto748 ) and 17l in the FV.

Hops
10gm El Dorado @30 mins
40gm El Dorado @5 mins

Yeast
Mangrove Jacks verdunt IPA

Hit my numbers exactly - OG of 1.048, should give me a final beer with 40IBU, 4.5% abv and a pale 7SRM
Or
AG number 87
El Dorado IPA
I have done this one a few times now and it never fails to impress. Love the strong stone fruit flavour from el dorado and its leaves a lovely pleasant aftertaste.

3.5kg Maris Otter
100gm crystal 113ebc

18l mash at 66C for 90mins, and a 4l 'dunked in a bucket for 10 mins' sparge
Leaving 20l wort for a 60 minute boil and 16l in the FV

Hops
10gm El Dorado @30 mins
40gm El Dorado @5 mins

Yeast
MJ M44 US west coast which i love for its clean profile and letting the hops shine
expecting 42IBUs, 5% abv and colour roughly 7SRM
This one is getting brewed cold - probably around 18C to get it as clean as possible
Or
AG number 77
El Dorado IPA

You know me, swings and roundabouts between traditional Yorkshire ales and all that foreign muck. And as I absolutely love el dorado, its time for another IPA with this magnificent hop

3.2kg Maris Otter
200gm Rolled oats
100gm crystal 113ebc

20l mash at 66C for 90mins followed by a 4l dunk sparge and a good bag squeeze
Leaving 21l wort for a 60 minute boil and 17l in the FV

Hops
25gm centennial @20min
25gm El Dorado @5mins
25gm centennial @5min
25gm El dorado dry hop on day 5

Yeast
Lallemand Verdant IPA from the previous ag75 brew

Expecting 7srm, 50ibu and 5%. Depending on how well the dry hop goes, this should be a fruit bomb.
Or
My order from THBS has finally arrived, this is a rebrew of AG40 - which is a stunning BrewDog-type IPA made with just El Dorado hops

AG number 59
BrewDog - IPA is dead

4 Irish malt
200gm crystal 30ebc
50gm crystal 360ebc

18l mash at 65c for an hour followed by a 4l sparge and a good bag squeeze
Leaving 20l wort for a 60 minute boil and 16l in the FV

Hops
10 g El Dorado 60 min
40 g El Dorado 5 min
Intention is to do a 50 g El Dorado dry hop on day 5

Yeast is Lalbrew American West Coast ale yeast BRY-97
Not used this one before so quite looking forward to how it turns out, as its supposed to really make the hops aromas shine
Scores on the doors for this one: expecting 5.7% abv, 40IBUs and 16EBC

Latest posts

Back