Smash results are in

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griff097

Chief Charwalla
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Marriss Otter Chinook smas is kegged, force carved for an initial sip for comparison and I am chuffed with the result.
25L batch
5kg Marriss Otter
90 min mash
90 min boil
30g of Chinook start of boil
30g of Chinook at flameout
Protofloc/yeast nutrient last 10 mins
Split in two

Batch 1 Nottingham yeast
Batch 2 Malt Miller English ale yeast

Observations, batch 1 Nottingham had higher attenuation ending up with 4.46% ale and a much heavier later of trub a good 1L in a 12.5 L batch

Batch 2 the MM lower attenuation at 3.9% a tiny amount of trub in the FV samev12. 5 L batch

More head retention with the Nottingham and more mouthfeel, but maybe that's the more alcoholic twang, very similar but slightly thinner tasting from the MM, but after comparing I am swapping my initial favorite.

Initially the Nottingham was by far my favourite, now if I was to repeat this I would go with the Malt Miller ale yeast and add either a bigger flameout addition or my feeling is a dry hop of the same amount 30g.

If I could only brew one beer forever, this is not far off what I want 🤔

Attachments

• IMG_20210905_182652.jpg
    IMG_20210905_182652.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 32
Sounds excellent! Very similar to my go to APA/IPA - I've used a 'Kiwi Pale Ale' yeast the last two brews and that has been amazing. Mine has 100g of citra and cascade, with around 85g of that (mixed) as dry hop. Lovely beer! Wonderful to find a drink that you and others enjoy so much, I'll have to give yours a try some time.

Sounds excellent! Very similar to my go to APA/IPA - I've used a 'Kiwi Pale Ale' yeast the last two brews and that has been amazing. Mine has 100g of citra and cascade, with around 85g of that (mixed) as dry hop. Lovely beer! Wonderful to find a drink that you and others enjoy so much, I'll have to give yours a try some time.

I think next time I do it I will compare the Ale Yeast with US05 and give both a dry hop.
A friend tried both the other day and he preferred the MM Ale yeast too.
I will look out for the Kiwi Pale as well.

Latest posts

Back