Snake oil?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheyne_brewer

Regular.
Reaction score
This looks to me like total snake oil - is anyone using similar and finds any benefit?

IMG_9873.png

Hum? 🤔 I'd been looking at them (and the like) to breakup/prevent a particularly nasty case of "beerstone". I know of one water company actually recommending them, but UK water companies have often decayed into the worst cases of "snake oil purveyors".

Can't make a good judgement myself, so ... Good luck!

One works one doesn't, as the guy in the second video says if your water is not too hard you may be OK.

Last edited:
I use a similar product by Water King with limited results. (One on both the hot and cold side )
The amount of limescale has definitely reduced but it has not completely stopped the build up by any means.
I have also, tried a traditional water softener but due to the fact that I have two incoming mains supplies it too was inefficient. I could have resolved this by way of a second unit in the loft but with a cost of £3k and the inconvenience of going into the loft to add salt it was a non starter.
Not a lot of help I know but I have found that in my particular set up it only reduces the build up of limescale and definitely doesn’t stop it !!!!

Snake oil.

If you want soft water you need a traditional resin and salt softener
That's suggesting one version of "snake oil" for someone else's "snake oil"! Well, it is for brewing beer which I guess this forum is about?

Water softening salts/resins work by replacing calcium and magnesium ions with sodium. They don't hide the fact, they advertise it! Water Softening Resin - ultra-soft.co.uk

"Soft Water" means nothing to brewing beer.

"Low Alkalinity Water" means lots to brewing beer.

Water Softening Salts/Resins
DO NOT REDUCE ALKALINITY!

What they will do is remove Calcium, and Magnesium which are valuable to beer brewing, and replace them with sodium which is not! The effect is like brewing with "RO water" (or distilled, etc.) and building up a water profile with only Bicarbonate of Soda. Alkalinity in good brewing water is entirely due to bicarbonate ions (and hydroxide ions, especially if you add them).

Hope I've made that clear? 😁

[EDIT: Minor edits to make ... err ... Clearer?]

Last edited:
Back