Solar panels.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Certainly a few things to think about. Out of interest where is your company based naturals. Like Dave we are looking at ideas for long term investments with some inheritance money and so far this does look promising.

naturals said:
If you got Sunpower modules for that price that's a very good deal indeed! Those things are crazy expensive! The material price we pay is roughly double what some other manufacturers charge. Out of interest what was the premium inverter you had fitted with them?

That's nice to hear......I've copied details direct from the quote...although you have me worried that the inverter might not be 'premium' now - when I asked about the lifespan (having heard the same as others about limited lifespan) I was told it wouldn't be a problem with SMA

Solar Array Location: South facing house roof
Fixing Detail: Schuco on-roof mounting system
Solar PV Modules: 3.924kwp output comprised of modules/configuration below:
Quantity & Type: 12 x SunPower E20 327 (Black Frames)
Roof area: 19m2 approx
Configuration: 1 upper row x 2 columns, 2 middle rows x 3 columns, 1 lower row x 4 columns (all landscape)
Inverter: SMA SB3600TL with integrated Bluetooth and a 5 year manufacturer’s warranty

Price £ 7485.00
Vat 5% £ 374.25
Total £ 7859.25

dennisking said:
Certainly a few things to think about. Out of interest where is your company based naturals. Like Dave we are looking at ideas for long term investments with some inheritance money and so far this does look promising.

I'm based in London and I have a business partner based in The Cotswolds. We cover all of the South of England though I'll be honest and say we may not be that competitive versus a small local installer. Our main market is building contractors, farm owners and landowners.

Feel free to drop me a PM or post here if you need any specific advice.

Dave1970 said:
That's nice to hear......I've copied details direct from the quote...although you have me worried that the inverter might not be 'premium' now - when I asked about the lifespan (having heard the same as others about limited lifespan) I was told it wouldn't be a problem with SMA

The SMA units in general are very good. The TL is particularly well regarded so you shouldn't have any problems. I'm happy to give you a good price on a warranty extension if you're worried.

For comparison, the trade price on the SMA is 50% higher than the inverter we typically use so they definitely are a premium brand!

It's nice to hear from someone who knows what they're talking about that we seem to have got a decent deal.

I would normally do a lot of research before buying something like this but I wanted to get in before the drop in the FIT at the end of March (I know it's only 0.52p but that'll add up over 20+ years) so I just got 2 quotes. One company came and took a photo of the house, guessed the size of the roof from street level and went. The others were there for about 90 mins, went up on the roof, in the loft, checked the electrics - they were just so much more professional so they were very much in pole position. They got back to me quickly and could fit a week later so I just went for it - I did think I might have paid a bit over the odds as did SWMBO so it'll be nice to tell her we got a decent deal.

This company is the one that are going to install solar panels on my roof.

http://ashadegreener.co.uk/

As has bee said earlier in the thread, it's a rented roof scheme so the panels, instillation and maintenance is free.

PaulCa said:
Robbo said:

Nothing is free.

yes it is, free loft and cavity wall insulation has been around for years, free boilers for people in vulnerable groups like the disbaled and the elderly have been around for about a year now

the free panels work by you not getting the profits from the feed in tariff but instead just benefitting from the free electricity that is produced by them, personally i would buy them rather than go for this scheme because you will end up better off.

there are some things that have been in the news recently such as ECO - the eneregy company obligation and CSCO the carbon saving comunity obligation that have replaced the old CERO carbon emision reduction target that actualy require the big energy companys to spend some of there profits on helping the poorest and most vulnerable people in the country

when you sign a contract to say its free, its free.

i work in a company that has built its whole buisness model on giving things away and asking the energy companys for the money instead and in 20 years have gone from a man with a van to 2500 employees in 4 countries (england, new zealend, australia, america) and are still doing very nicely

btw if you would like a quote for solar from the company let me know, if you use us i will split the £100 recomend a friend we get :thumb:

Teenage Kicks said:
PaulCa said:
Robbo said:

Nothing is free.

yes it is, free loft and cavity wall insulation has been around for years, free boilers for people in vulnerable groups like the disbaled and the elderly have been around for about a year now
Not free. Someone else pays.

the free panels work by you not getting the profits from the feed in tariff but instead just benefitting from the free electricity that is produced by them, personally i would buy them rather than go for this scheme because you will end up better off.

Net loss in opportunity costs. Someone else makes money from you. Do not be a sheep for their shepard, we deserve better.. You could have had that money.

there are some things that have been in the news recently such as ECO - the eneregy company obligation and CSCO the carbon saving comunity obligation that have replaced the old CERO carbon emision reduction target that actualy require the big energy companys to spend some of there profits on helping the poorest and most vulnerable people in the country

Someone else pays.

when you sign a contract to say its free, its free.

If the small print holds, then it probably means someone else pays.

i work in a company that has built its whole buisness model on giving things away and asking the energy companys for the money instead and in 20 years have gone from a man with a van to 2500 employees in 4 countries (england, new zealend, australia, america) and are still doing very nicely

Someone else pays.

It's just capitalism mate. That's how it works. The word "FREE" is abused to mean, "you" get it for free but we make a profit elsewhere and someone ultimately pays for it and that usually ends up coming out of the "common pocket".

If the government sudden said it would open food banks and provide FREE food for everyone. Is that free to all?

For Naturals, this is what we are considering,

4kw system

Phono solar 250 panels

Enphase micro inverter

Enphase monitor

with iboost

£6,662 thoughts please.

if you are thinking about them, check your insurence.

Many companys wont cover them, or roof damage as they are extra load on the house that shouldnt really be there.

dennisking said:
For Naturals, this is what we are considering,

4kw system

Phono solar 250 panels

Enphase micro inverter

Enphase monitor

with iboost

£6,662 thoughts please.

That's a pretty good price for a micro inverter system. I presume you have some shading issues to be considering micro inverters? If it's a clear roof (IMO) they're not really worth the extra expense - you'd be better with a central 3680w inverter which should knock a few hundred quid off the price. Also it'd be worth checking which spec of Phono Solar panels they're using. These days the black edged / backed panels literally cost pounds extra (£4-5 per panel on some of the ones from my supplier) - over a 16 panel system you're talking £100 extra but aesthetically they can make all the difference on some buildings.

Any idea what mounting system they're using? Schuco are probably the best made out there. Schletter and Mage pretty good. There are some really rough ones around though so worth asking!

Finally, I presume the micros have a 20-25 year warranty? That's fairly standard on micros these days.

grandelf said:
if you are thinking about them, check your insurence.

Many companys wont cover them, or roof damage as they are extra load on the house that shouldnt really be there.

I must admit I've never heard of insurers kicking up a fuss on a domestic sized system. They're no more expensive than some stereo systems these days so not a big theft risk. As long as the installer does a proper structural survey (ALWAYS check they do as many don't) then you should be fine.

naturals said:
That's a pretty good price for a micro inverter system. I presume you have some shading issues to be considering micro inverters? If it's a clear roof (IMO) they're not really worth the extra expense - you'd be better with a central 3680w inverter which should knock a few hundred quid off the price. Also it'd be worth checking which spec of Phono Solar panels they're using. These days the black edged / backed panels literally cost pounds extra (£4-5 per panel on some of the ones from my supplier) - over a 16 panel system you're talking £100 extra but aesthetically they can make all the difference on some buildings.

Any idea what mounting system they're using? Schuco are probably the best made out there. Schletter and Mage pretty good. There are some really rough ones around though so worth asking!

Finally, I presume the micros have a 20-25 year warranty? That's fairly standard on micros these days.

The mounting system proposed is K2. They advised a micro inverter as we live in an area with a lot of bird activity and if one gets bird **** on it will only effect that area of the panel. Also as they will be east/west facing the micro inverter may better suited. The panel is black edged and with 5 year performance warranty 10 year product warranty.

dennisking said:
naturals said:

The mounting system proposed is K2. They advised a micro inverter as we live in an area with a lot of bird activity and if one gets bird **** on it will only effect that area of the panel. Also as they will be east/west facing the micro inverter may better suited. The panel is black edged and with 5 year performance warranty 10 year product warranty.

K2 are one I would put firmly in the 'decent' camp. Their stuff is good. If you have a lot of problems with bird dirt it's probably worth the micro inverters. In theory the panels are self cleaning (the glass is non-stick) but this will take a while if the roof is a shallow pitch and is of course dependant on rain - in the UK we either seem to have way too much or way too little of that stuff.

I had my free solar panels fitted yesterday. The whole operation only took 3 hours to complete.....just need some sun now :D

@One eye,
Further to the exchange above about the discussions on the BBC. It was on Radio 4 today on "You and Yours" where the discussion took place and included in the discussions was a conversation about a person who was trying to sell his house and the person who wanted to buy it. The company who were renting the roof for solar panels were adamant they would not change the contract in the light of the house sale and thus bringing the sale of the house to a standstill. It was generally agreed in the studio that this was wrong but they also indicated that a small percentage of this type of installer was crooked in an unregulated market.

Very spookily - while I was typing this response I received a phone call from an installer who wanted to rent my roof. I couldn't tell him to P*** off quick enough!

LeithR said:
@One eye,
Further to the exchange above about the discussions on the BBC. It was on Radio 4 today on "You and Yours" where the discussion took place and included in the discussions was a conversation about a person who was trying to sell his house and the person who wanted to buy it. The company who were renting the roof for solar panels were adamant they would not change the contract in the light of the house sale and thus bringing the sale of the house to a standstill. It was generally agreed in the studio that this was wrong but they also indicated that a small percentage of this type of installer was crooked in an unregulated market.

Very spookily - while I was typing this response I received a phone call from an installer who wanted to rent my roof. I couldn't tell him to P*** off quick enough!

Any idea who the original installer was? I've not come across this before. A Shade Greener and the No.2 installer (who I used to work for so won't name!) might not be the most amazing companies out there but they certainly wouldn't employ these tactics in a month of Sundays.

what does it matter to the company who paid and installed the system, who owns the property they installed the system on as long as they ( the company ) receive the feed in tariff, for the next 25yrs

Free Tricity paid and, A shade Greener installed my system,

How on earth could THEY stop ME selling MY property, and why would they even try or want to.

I'll look the paperwork out, but I'm pretty sure the panels are now registered with our property with the land registry, like go with (joined) to the property

Latest posts

Back