Something wrong!?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ally_sives

Reaction score
Hi, was making a brew and all went ok (or so I thought) and in it went into the FV and it bubbled away for 2 days and hasn't done much since. I opened it up a few minutes ago and this is what I saw. Can anyone help with what's wrong or even if it's ok??

Cheers

image.jpg

Looks pretty normal to me. Does it smell ok, ie not of vinegar or other rank stench?

nothing.. thats just the yeast from the initial activity that hasnt dropped.

whats happend temperature wise? what temp was it and what temp is it?

and are you 100% sure the lid is airtight?? the co2 will find the easiest route out which may not be thru the airlock. bucket lids are notorious for leaking the co2.. trust me i know i chucked a stout years ago that refused to ferment, my heart dropped when i poured it away to uncover a good 2 inches of sedimented yeast Why o why didnt i check the gravity??????

the only way to be sure whats what is by taking a gravity reading.. if that shows its stuck after 3 days reading constant significantly higher than the expected final gravity then you have something to address but you will probably find all is well ;)

the floating yeast islands will drop eventually a sharp rap with a wooden spoon to the bucket side will help break the surface tension keeping it afloat if not..

It's been at 20 throughout. I was worried about the quick fermentation but I think I may have over yeasts it. Was a 5 gallon batch so I topped up to 23 litre then pitched two packets of safale 05.

Gonna try giving it a little knock to see if that helps. Lid was secure but like you said it could have found a way.

Silly idea.... But give it a taste??! (And do a gravity reading). If it tastes okay, it's okay. 2 packets of us05 is over doing it a bit - and quite expensive. 1 is usually enough for a normal strength brew.

Silly idea.... But give it a taste??! (And do a gravity reading). If it tastes okay, it's okay. 2 packets of us05 is over doing it a bit - and quite expensive. 1 is usually enough for a normal strength brew.

Yeah, I went through everything but never even thought about the yeast! Amateur mistake haha but you live and learn.

My first brew did very little bubbling through the airlock, as fil noted brew buckets can leak easily. I remedied this by using Vaseline around the airlock gromit. Now my brews bubble along nicely during first fermentation

Never thought of Vaseline on the FV. Makes sense though! I had planned to use it kegs tap when it comes to that point.

Latest posts

Back