spray malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kev357

Reaction score
Hello All

What is spray malt, can i use it in canned kits, and where in the Willenhall, Wolverhapton area can i buy it?

It's dried malt extract (DME), I'm not sure about using it in kits someone else can advise, I get mine from a HB shop in Erdington £2.95/500g, but there's probably someone closer to you.

No problem using in kits. In fact I think you get a better beer. You need slightly more spray malt than granulated sugar if you are using to replace the sugar. I can't remember off hand the ratio, but it's something like 1.25kg to 1kg granulated sugar.

If you're using the one-can 'budget' kits which require the addition of a kilo of sugar, then spraymalt will give you a better beer.

Sugar adds nothing to your beer apart from alcohol, and can make your beer seem thin. The sugars in malt extracts give your beer the alcohol plus some more body. It's not quite a like-for-like substitution, but instead of using 1kg of sugar you could perhaps try 500g spraymalt + 550g sugar.

If you go up to the two-can 'premium' kits, then you don't need to add sugar or spraymalt.

Sorry, I don't know the suppliers on your side of town.

Try Cannock market if you over that way or theres hamstead home brew but thats scott arms not also blackheath market but not sure about wolverhampton area though

im quite close to you and i have to travel to Gornal where Harris home brew is not too far from the pie factory , there's also a little shop(not much there)in Warstones rd penn area and also 1 other a garden centre off the Bridgnorth road called Doo Littles about 2 miles outside of Perton on the way to Bridgnorth (a little side shed with some good stuff) The last place may be your best place for kits and equipment but sooner or later online ordering is my only real choice

No, forget the garden centre on the Bridgnorth road.

That would have been very useful to me for occasional supplies, as it was only a 5 minute drive from my place of employment.

Prices were stupid and knowledge seemed limited, he was never going to last long, and some of those trading sheds change owners quite frequently.

I also use Harris Homebrew in Gornal for my winemaking supplies, but get my hops and grain from Malt Miller.

I've used for Harris's in Gornal and Hamstead in Brum

There's also a smallish HBS in the back of a Chemists in the centre of Bilston but like Pittsy and Moley have said you'll get a much better choice online.

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back