Stainless steel false bottom for boiler

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update - I changed the nut on the underside of the false-bottom for a 1/2" BSP barel, and ground off the last 3-4mm of the barel so it sat nearly flush with the bottom of the boiler.

IMG_0078_zps60e16f97.jpg

With this I only get 500ml of liquid left in the bottom of the boiler when I pump out. I don't think I can do much better than that.

Presumably, then, brass fittings are okay to use in a boiler? I might have a go at this myself. :thumb:

I hope so, I don't fancy trying to grind the end off a stainless steel fitting :-)

Lead is bad too and is used in brass to facilitate machinability. You can, however, remove the surface lead by soaking in a solution of two parts white vinegar to one part hydrogen peroxide (3%) for 5 mins.

Ref: John Palmer, How to Brew.

Hmmmm... very interesting, how about having it sit to the bottom and then cut notches into it, a bit like arches, do you think this will reduce it further ? Also, you say you pump it out, is that with a solar pump and would you have more dead space if left to gravity and syphon effect ?

Hi Loady - you could cut notches, but I don't think it is required. Unless you grind the end off the barrel perfectly flat (mine certainly isn't) there appears to be enough of a gap to suck up the wort. I don't think you'll get much better than 500ml dead-space in a boiler the size of mine (500mm across). A narrower boiler would have less dead-space.

I have a solar-pump and a totton-type pump. I varied the speed of extraction, and it made no difference to the amount of liquid left. I think that whether you siphon slowly, or pump fast, if all stops when you start sucking air through the bottom of the barrel. And I think that happens at the same point regardless.

Hi, I use a hop spider for the same effect, so if place an elbow inside my bulkhead fitting I should reduce my dead space,

How much fallout from the cold break is acceptable, and how long before I should run into my fermenting vessel

Hi, I use a hop spider for the same effect, so if place an elbow inside my bulkhead fitting I should reduce my dead space,

How much fallout from the cold break is acceptable, and how long before I should run into my fermenting vessel

dont worry about break material in the FV it will just fall out as trub and can even be beneficial providing building blocks for yeast population growth too.

Yes bang an elbow on your drain and with a gentle forward tip you can virtually eliminate deadspace from your kettle.

10369798944_1aacbffe12.jpg

Latest posts

Back