Sterilise

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dinkupeanut

Reaction score
Hi I've just sterilised and bottled my first brew it took me a while from start to finish. Once I've sterilised my bottles how long will they stay clean? I was thinking if I did it in the morning would they still be clean at the evening?

I sterilise and give each bottle a squirt of star san right before bottling to be safe. I'd worry about contamination if you left it for long.
especially if you have pets or if someone was cooking nearby.

If you sanitised bottles and sealed/capped them at the same time, then provided you sanitised properly and since are bottles are sealed, they should be good for a few hours or even a few days imo. Any reason why not?

This is going to open the whole sterilise/sanitise debate again. They are only words I agree, but ones that need looking at carefully. As homebrewers we will never I suggest be able to achieve the first....

Simple answer. If starsan is used and the surface doesn't dry out no matter how many microlife land on the surface they will be wiped out. If a sanitiser is used that needs to be rinsed away then bottle right after the rinse.
In my opinion sanitising bottles and putting them on a bottle tree there would not be a problem with infection if the bottles were used the same day no matter how they were sanitised.

Good point! :oops:
I use screw caps, so think that way
My argument severely dented... unless you use screw caps that is.
But there's always cling film?

I put little caps of cling film on my bottles after I've ovened them. Then on bottling day I give them a spray with star san using my bottle washer

Rightly or wrongly, I do mine the night before with no rinse sanitiser then stick on my bottling tree overnight - then I bottle after breakfast the following morning.

What I do is roll all my bottles in the compost heap, then leave next to an open sewer for a few days. Once nicely soiled I bring them in and carefully store them in the cats litter tray until needed.
When I'm ready to start bottling I chuck my power washer feed into the fv (which I wash in the same way as above) and spray the contents over the roof of my house and then I bottle from the guttering down pipe.
Once all the bottles are full I plug the tops with dog poo and fags butts, or whatever else I find lying around and leave for a few weeks to carb up (you need patience for this bit) then you are good to go my friends.

The hangover can be a bit rough though.

With reference to the mentioned "debate". i will choose my words carefully and explain.
The difference between "sterilizing" and "sanitizing" is the amount of bacteria still alive. Sterilizing kills more bacteria than sanitizing. As HB`ers we dont need to sterilize, but we do need to sanitize. Its all about bring the amount of bacteria down to a safe level.
Bacteria multiply by a method called Binary Fission, this means the bacteria cell will split into two. This takes place approx every 20 mins.
So, if you have sanitized your bottles there will still be some bacteria in the bottle, lets say 10 bacteria cells still present.

10 x 2 + 20mins = 20 x 2 = 20mins = 40 x 2 + 20mins = 80 x 2 = 20mins = 160 x 2 + 20mins =160 x 2 + 20mins = 320 x 2 + 20mins = 640 x 2 + 20mins = 1280 x 2 + 20mins = 2560 x 2 + 20mins = 5120 x 2 + 20mins = 10240 x 2 + 20mins = 20480 x 2 + 20mins = 40960 x 2 + 20mins = 81920 x 2 + 20mins = 163840.

So after 5 hours those 10 initial bacteria have multiplied into 163,840.

I picked 10 as a random number, there will be a lot more present after you sanitize your bottles, but as I said "its all about bring the initial amount of bacteria down to a safe level"

You may thing that 163,840 is a huge amount, but its not, It takes many billions of bacteria cells to send a beer off.

If you are interested, I suggest you take the Level 1 Food Hygiene Test. Its available free online (Govt Supported) Its a bit of reading followed by a multiply choice questionaire. This is very good knowledge for HB`ers.

As for the OP...sanitize as you would usually do and either store upside down ( to stop and Physical Contamination) or right way up and cover with a dry cloth and use within 8 hours.
HTH Johnny

What I do is roll all my bottles in the compost heap, then leave next to an open sewer for a few days. Once nicely soiled I bring them in and carefully store them in the cats litter tray until needed.
When I'm ready to start bottling I chuck my power washer feed into the fv (which I wash in the same way as above) and spray the contents over the roof of my house and then I bottle from the guttering down pipe.
Once all the bottles are full I plug the tops with dog poo and fags butts, or whatever else I find lying around and leave for a few weeks to carb up (you need patience for this bit) then you are good to go my friends.

Really tickled me that, nearly choked on my sandwich !

As a returning homebrewer and not done a brew yet, how things have changed. I am having to brew in my garage so am putting together a brew fridge. Now I find I need a compost heap. I have to find an open sewer, I have to get a cat (don't know if the dog will approve) Looking out on ebay now for a cheap power washer and I have to take up smoking. Fortunately I have the dog poo covered. I'm beginning to wonder if its really worth it.:lol::lol:

Latest posts

Back