Stir plates. How effective are they?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s been 36 hours now so Just chucked it in fridge @1c, as you say I will take it out two hours before pitching👍

Don't get too hung up on expensive kit when diy is cheap, I built one it works but I usually use a 5L ashbeck bottle and shake. It is somewhat less efficient but it works it's simple, very little trouble and gets a second use from a throwaway container.

Atb. Aamclep

Just to add a wee hint - I've been boiling my starter wort with the teflon stir bar in the flask already, and covered with foil. That way the stir bar is nicely sterilised, as is the interior part of the foil. There's no problem with boiling the bar as they are designed to be safely autoclaved which is a fair bit hotter than boiling and under steam pressure.

Just to add a wee hint - I've been boiling my starter wort with the teflon stir bar in the flask already, and covered with foil. That way the stir bar is nicely sterilised, as is the interior part of the foil. There's no problem with boiling the bar as they are designed to be safely autoclaved which is a fair bit hotter than boiling and under steam pressure.
That's worth knowing - thanks @DocAnna. I've been hesitant to boil mine as (a) I thought it might take the magnet above the Curie point; and (b) I wasn't sure whether it would be a bit 'bumpy' on the base of the flask

I think mine are all PTFE coated by the way; not seen any teflon ones

That's worth knowing - thanks @DocAnna. I've been hesitant to boil mine as (a) I thought it might take the magnet above the Curie point; and (b) I wasn't sure whether it would be a bit 'bumpy' on the base of the flask

I think mine are all PTFE coated by the way; not seen any teflon ones
Teflon is just a trademarked brand name of PTFE, just by the by, so same difference. ;)

Never boiled my stir bar, and to be honest since I started using liquid kveik rather than normal yeasts haven't actually used my stir plate. When I did though, it was effective, and didn't add any of the off flavours that a certain anti stir plate brewer reckons. But that's just my experience. I turned it up high enough to just get a dimple in the surface of the starter.

Here is my homemade stir plate in action with a 3lt flask and 1.5lt starter

Attachments

• homemade stirplate.jpg
    homemade stirplate.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 39
Back