Stopped Perry Ferment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Posting more for info / discussion rather than asking any questions.

About 4 weeks ago I kicked off 2 FVs worth of Perry. Exactly the same contents in both bins (one was slightly more full than the other).

Same process - 1 campden per 5 litres. Added pectolase (and sugar - 30g per litre as the pears weren't special and I was worried it wouldn't go over 5% if it fermented to 1.010). Day later pitched Cider Yeast and Nutrient.

Both bins started off fine but one stopped bubbling week & half ago, the other was still bubbling last night (a slow ferment in my cool 10-15deg garage).

I thought I'd check with a hydrometer last night. The one that had 'stopped' was around 1.012. The one that was still going was around 1.008. Mmm that shouldn't be right they are exactly the same juice from one pear variety.

Anyway this morning the one that had stopped seems to be showing signs of getting going again - bulge on the bin lid, pressure differential on the air lock.

So it would seem giving the brew a 'breath of fresh air' has kicked it off again.

One thing I've noticed this year is giving my apple juice / cider a 'breathe' after the yeast has been pitched seems to get the ferment started earlier. And I've actually read some people recommend just leaving a tea towel over the FV rather than sealing it to get the cider started.

So that's it. Was hoping to bottle the perry this weekend but I'll give it another week now...

hey freester - are you sure about the temp ? I'd wager poorly insulated garages have hit some pretty low temperatures in recent days now that we have had some frosts - could that have stalled it ?

hey freester - are you sure about the temp ? I'd wager poorly insulated garages have hit some pretty low temperatures in recent days now that we have had some frosts - could that have stalled it ?

If both had stalled yes. But this was pre-frosts in my part of the country.

It was when I removed the lid to take a reading and it revved back up again the following day. Interestingly this was the one that was more full and I know the seals on these particular FVs are more airtight than some so potentially less air above the juice before the CO2 started producing.

That said they've both slowed right down now!!! Well below 10 at night in the garage.

Latest posts

Back