Storing your beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been having a look online and see that 10litre kegs or should i say pressure barrel's, are available which would suit me more than a 25 litre one.
What are the benefits please of using them(probably a really daft question) and if i went down that route how long do they hold natural pressure for or would it be a better option to go for one that can be gassed?

Is there any reason nobody has said buy 2L Tesco sparking water bottles for 17p each and use them? Obviously not reusable but if you want a cheap easy way to store some beer.

cant argue that nicowk... under £2 to package up a batch, I assume no bottle prep needed other than emptying out the contents, limits the number of vessels to be filled, and easy to store.

How will the beer last in these? Over two days ok?

It's an old argument but valid. Should I bottle or keg?
My lager is clear, strong and we'll founded but sweat. I really don't want to add sugar but bottling requires it and leaves a deposit.
So what's the next step?

It's an old argument but valid. Should I bottle or keg?
My lager is clear, strong and we'll founded but sweat. I really don't want to add sugar but bottling requires it and leaves a deposit.
So what's the next step?

After watching quite a few youtube examples of mostly Americans showing what they do, quite a lot ferment out then force carb. I see why they do this to get a reasonable beer available quickly but wouldn't do much for flavour I don't think.

My problem is how to store boxes of bottles. Would love some crates. :-?

My problem is how to store boxes of bottles.

Really Useful 35L plastic boxes, solid reinforced bottom and takes 20 bottles....available from Homebase, B&Q etc.

stash_small_zps1b312e96.jpg

5-ream photocopy paper boxes are perfect for PET bottles. Easy to get hold of free, very strong, and they stack nicely. You can can 14 bottles per box, so for me every 23 litre brew ends up divided into 3 of them with two or three left out as testers.

Is there any reason nobody has said buy 2L Tesco sparking water bottles for 17p each and use them? Obviously not reusable but if you want a cheap easy way to store some beer.

that would work they'd need to be kept out of the light to avoid skunky beer.

I've not used anything other than bottles my problem would be the space in the fridge to chill a keg. I have fridge space for 3 x 500ml bottles or 1 x 750ml bottle max :-(

that would work they'd need to be kept out of the light to avoid skunky beer.

I've not used anything other than bottles my problem would be the space in the fridge to chill a keg. I have fridge space for 3 x 500ml bottles or 1 x 750ml bottle max :-(

H_a_D's came up with a solution for not being able to put a mini keg in his fridge. He uses a cool bag and some freezer blocks. He said he puts the keg in the bag in the morning with the block and when he comes home from work in the evening it'd nice in cold. In fact he said it worked too well and the beer was too cold for his tastes so would use less blocks
You could do the same thing for a load of bottles?

H_a_D's came up with a solution for not being able to put a mini keg in his fridge. He uses a cool bag and some freezer blocks. He said he puts the keg in the bag in the morning with the block and when he comes home from work in the evening it'd nice in cold. In fact he said it worked too well and the beer was too cold for his tastes so would use less blocks
You could do the same thing for a load of bottles?

Yep this worked a treat, the keg was honestly lager temp cold.

Back