Storms

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
We don't seem to have windy and wet days anymore we have storms today's is heading here from Scotland and is due to hit mid afternoon.

A message to the forecasters at BBC weather no one cares who's turn it is to name the thing it really isn't important.

A random name generator of names from the countries that name storms. of course an A name then a B name etc.

That would save wasteful meeting time deciding hows going to name it this time 🤔

oh hang on they'll probably need even more meeting to decide what names to put in (or leave out)

Brit: Hmm... Better leave Adolf out chaps don't want to upset our friend across the channel.
German: Better leave Boris and Nigel out as well then.
Brexit Brit: Now i'm offended.

Incidentally were there any well known weather forcasters who came out in favour of brexit. I only ask because weather knows no boundaries and we use US and EU models it would seem a bit weird to me if a met person was. Of course I know politics & weather are usually separate but we only had to see the rush for covid jabs and kit between the countries to see that when push comes to shove a sovereign country puts its interests first.

I kind of subscribe to the oxygen mask theory, sort yourself out first so that you are capable of helping others.

A random name generator of names from the countries that name storms. of course an A name then a B name etc.

That would save wasteful meeting time deciding hows going to name it this time 🤔

oh hang on they'll probably need even more meeting to decide what names to put in (or leave out)

Brit: Hmm... Better leave Adolf out chaps don't want to upset our friend across the channel.
German: Better leave Boris and Nigel out as well then.
Brexit Brit: Now i'm offended.

Incidentally were there any well known weather forcasters who came out in favour of brexit. I only ask because weather knows no boundaries and we use US and EU models it would seem a bit weird to me if a met person was. Of course I know politics & weather are usually separate but we only had to see the rush for covid jabs and kit between the countries to see that when push comes to shove a sovereign country puts its interests first.

I kind of subscribe to the oxygen mask theory, sort yourself out first so that you are capable of helping others.
This
https://www.met.ie/forecasts/storm-names

Mostly I agree with Dad_of_jon for using a name generator.
However I find that in certain cases there should be an option to divert from that, like with the recent storm "Gerrit".
In honour of the Dutch (TV-)meteorologist Gerrit Hiemstra who did his job for 25 years before retiring from his job.
I think it's a nice way to remember someone.

However I find that in certain cases there should be an option to divert from that, like with the recent storm "Gerrit".
In honour of the Dutch (TV-)meteorologist Gerrit Hiemstra who did his job for 25 years before retiring from his job.
I can think of a few individuals I've worked with who'd have deserved a storm named after them at retirement to mark the trail of destruction they left in their wake. 😂

Storm whatever its name has hit us and the rain is coming down like stair rods fortunately its only going to last a couple of hours and it's going to be a dry day tomorrow.

Some may be but not the majority, according to this article it's the public.

How are storms named?​

The UK Met Office and Irish service Met Éireann launched their first "Name our Storms" campaign in 2015.
Most years, they draw the names from a shortlist of favourites submitted by the public. Since 2019, they have been joined by the national weather service of the Netherlands, which also chips in a few suggested names each year.
In previous years, storms have alternated between male and female names.
However, for the 2023-24 season, the Met Office has altered this, naming a number of storms after prominent scientists, meteorologists and others "who work to keep people safe in times of severe weather".

What names are on this year's list?​

When the criteria for naming a storm are met, either the Met Office, Met Éireann or Dutch weather agency KNMI can name a storm, taking the name from the latest list in alphabetical order.
Jocelyn was named by Met Éireann after Prof Jocelyn Bell Burnell, an astrophysicist who discovered the first pulsating radio stars, or pulsars, in 1967.
Isha, pronounced ee-sha, was suggested by a member of the public.
A total of seven names in the 2023-24 storm season were selected by KNMI - including Henk which was submitted by someone who visited an open day at the agency's headquarters in October 2022.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67135325

Then add Gerrit more than once or 25 times for each year of service. wink... In the UK we'd not want to use the name Michael after Michael fish as there is that infamous clip of him saying (I paraphrase here) ' Don't worry there isn't a hurricane coming'. - Technically he was correct it wasn't a hurricane.

I seems there is already quite a bit of virtue signaling regarding storm naming.

It's supposed to be an aid to help the public be aware, there's no need to add any agenda to it. I do get the idea of honoring people but a storm usually has a negative impact. e.g. Adolf swept across Europe leaving a trail of destruction behind.

I know of one person named storm, (possibly conceived during one) now that would be funny....

"storm storm is on its way"

Some may be but not the majority, according to this article it's the public.

How are storms named?​

The UK Met Office and Irish service Met Éireann launched their first "Name our Storms" campaign in 2015.
Most years, they draw the names from a shortlist of favourites submitted by the public. Since 2019, they have been joined by the national weather service of the Netherlands, which also chips in a few suggested names each year.
In previous years, storms have alternated between male and female names.
However, for the 2023-24 season, the Met Office has altered this, naming a number of storms after prominent scientists, meteorologists and others "who work to keep people safe in times of severe weather".

What names are on this year's list?​

When the criteria for naming a storm are met, either the Met Office, Met Éireann or Dutch weather agency KNMI can name a storm, taking the name from the latest list in alphabetical order.
Jocelyn was named by Met Éireann after Prof Jocelyn Bell Burnell, an astrophysicist who discovered the first pulsating radio stars, or pulsars, in 1967.
Isha, pronounced ee-sha, was suggested by a member of the public.
A total of seven names in the 2023-24 storm season were selected by KNMI - including Henk which was submitted by someone who visited an open day at the agency's headquarters in October 2022.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67135325
Why the big blue font

No i am never passive just aggressive :D

I didn't have time to explain when i pasted the article the forum posted the top part in bold then when i typed my part it was also bold so i changed it to blue ;)

Latest posts

Back