Stubborn Ferment. Will not go down to 1.000

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenJ

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Cellar7 Sauvignon Blanc kit which I started on 27th June. Starting gravity was 1.082. I checked the Gravity after 7 days and it was 1.018 – and that is where it still is today.

The thermometer says it’s running at 22%. Does anyone have any ideas to restart the fermentation?

sounds like its 'stuck'
you could try gently stirring it - as gently as possible to not introduce oxygen, but enough to agitate the yeast back in to suspension - and put a teaspoon of dissolved sugar in the demijohn. [note: this is what i have done for stuck beer brews and its always worked. Theory is the sugar is super easy to digest and is a kick starter for getting the yeast active again, and once the yeast is actively chewing through the sugar it will start on the less fermentable sugars in the wine. No idea if this is scientifically proven though]
Then see if it restarts.
If not, you could try dosing it with some fresh yeast.

sounds like its 'stuck'
you could try gently stirring it - as gently as possible to not introduce oxygen, but enough to agitate the yeast back in to suspension - and put a teaspoon of dissolved sugar in the demijohn. [note: this is what i have done for stuck beer brews and its always worked. Theory is the sugar is super easy to digest and is a kick starter for getting the yeast active again, and once the yeast is actively chewing through the sugar it will start on the less fermentable sugars in the wine. No idea if this is scientifically proven though]
Then see if it restarts.
If not, you could try dosing it with some fresh yeast.
Thanks Nick. Somethings for me to try out. I gave it a stir a few days back. Will add some sugar today.

Long shot first - did you use the yeast sachet i ask as i once put the stabiliser in first which of course didn't work too well, i saved it by rehydrating the yeast and throwing it in.

If the answer to the above question is yes then I would give it a good thrashing as suggested and if that fails add some rehydrated yeast.

Last edited:
There are 2 favourite winemaking restart methods.

#1 rough it up (rouse it) good stir or shake. Be anything but gentle. And importantly raise the temp 2c.

If that does not work. #2 will but it's a pita to type up and you need some yeast.

Ps. Before you all set twitter afire, this is wine not beer.

Maybe, but that isn't technically restarting a stuck, that's adding yeast (either first lot, or another pitch later).

I liked the video, his "sprinkle" is defo a "lob in" though 🤣🤣

This kit is now at 1.006. It refuses to go down anymore but that is much better than 1.018.

I'm thinking of stirring and yeasting it one more time. Good Idea?

Or should I continue with the Cellar7 process and accept a sweet Sauvignon Blanc.

Back