Stuck Fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbo100

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I wouldn't normally post to ask about a stuck fermentation, but this one hasn't been fixed by the normal solutions.

I did a brew 12 days ago, and pitched a load of trub from my last brew (WLP002 - only removed from the previous FV 3 days earlier and kept in the fridge). I pitched the trub a little early, whilst the wort was about 27 deg, but since it was going in the brew-fridge, I knew it would be down to normal temps pretty quick.

Unfortunately, the next morning, I checked on the fermentation fridge, and realised that the cooling side of the system wasn't plugged in correctly, and the wort was still at 26 deg :oops:.

I switched it on and it cooled down pretty quick (Fridge was set to 18 deg), however, after checking the SG two days ago (8 days into the fermentation), it was stuck at SG1024 (OG was 1046), but with a normal looking yeast crust on the surface. The wort smells and tastes fine.

I gave it a good stir and increased the fermentation fridge to 20 deg, and have checked again today, and it is still only at SG1020.

So, shall I just leave it for longer, or should I throw some fresh yeast into the FV to get it going properly? I have a sachet of Safale S-04 in the fridge that I can pitch in to get it going again.

Any thoughts from the community? :thumb:

If it's only been fermenting for 10 days and it's gone down 4 points in the past 2 days, that suggests to me it's fermenting and you should give it another week or so.

If it's only been fermenting for 10 days and it's gone down 4 points in the past 2 days, that suggests to me it's fermenting and you should give it another week or so.

I have never known a beer to go for more than 7 days in all the years I have been brewing!!!

OK, I will see what happens!

I have never known a beer to go for more than 7 days in all the years I have been brewing!!!

OK, I will see what happens!

Perhaps the issue with temperature had an effect on the fermentation process. Or, maybe the Yeast got confused with the leap Year? :)

Let us know how it goes on. I guess if it shows 1.020 in a day or two, it may well be stuck, rather than just slow.

I had a stuck fermentation using S-04 (around 1.022 from memory) I stirred and pitched another packet of Yeast and it had no effect, but that's not say that would be the same for you.

I thought the general confirmation of a stuck brew was two or three identical gravity readings over a period of several days. If you get that, then it might be worth pitching, but from your original post it seems the gravity is decreasing, but just slowly at the moment?

I've never managed to get a stuck brew going again by adding more yeast - the yeast that's in there would do the job if it could. It needs more fermentables to kick start it, try 100-200g sugar dissolved in a little warm water, give it a good stir and ensure the temp is warmish 23C or so - that has worked for me.

I have had a similar situation to you where is starts off too hot and almost runs away with itself then runs out of puff and gets stuck.

Hi all,

Just a quick note to say "thanks" to everyone for giving me both practical advice and moral support with the Stuck Fermentation.

I added some sugar as suggested (boiled in solution), gave it a really good stir and then brought it up to 22 deg C, and all is now finished. It is down to the target FG of 1012.

Annoyingly, it has taken so long, that it has now clashed with my planned brew-day. All is not lost though, rather than cold-crashing in the brewfridge, I am racking it to another FV and just leaving it to cold-crash in the garage. It is cold enough in the garage at the moment!

This frees up the brew-fridge for todays DMASH. :thumb:

Cheers

Robbo100

Latest posts

Back