Sugar it is!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mirsultankhan

Landlord.
Reaction score
I don't want to put sugar in my beer, i don't like the idea, i want it to be ultra natural but anyway trying this today, Worthington White Shield clone which calls for 480g of white sugar (spit ding!)

Marris Otter 4000g
Crystal 335g
White sugar 480g:shock:

Challenger 28g (60 min)
Northdown 19g (60 min)
Northdown 16g (10 min)

OG 1054 FG 1014 ABV 5.4 IBU's 54

I don't want to put sugar in my beer, i don't like the idea, i want it to be ultra natural but anyway trying this today, Worthington White Shield clone which calls for 480g of white sugar (spit ding!)

Marris Otter 4000g
Crystal 335g
White sugar 480g:shock:

Challenger 28g (60 min)
Northdown 19g (60 min)
Northdown 16g (10 min)

OG 1054 FG 1014 ABV 5.4 IBU's 54
Use DME ( dry malt extract) it will give a better flavour too. Guys on here will be able to point you to the best one but I'd go with pale as a substitute for sugar.

No. They use a lot of white beet sugar. Sugar is a valid beer ingredient. It dries a beer out, thins the body. Which is not automatically bad. It can be a good thing. Some British and American ales that are very strong, for example, like Imperial stouts, use sugar to prevent the beer becoming too thick and cloying. And beers like Bud are made with large amounts of corn sugar, same as brewing sugar, to get that light body. I don't want to drink Bud, but I can use corn sugar and other sugars to produce an effect I do like.

https://byo.com/mead/item/327-brewing-with-sugar

https://byo.com/bock/item/1441-sweetness-brewing-sugars-how-to-use-them

The white sugar in the GW book is used instead of invert sugar. GW justification for using white sugar instead of invert sugar is that it's easier to get hold of. However if you google how to make invert sugar there's plenty of guides on how to do it. Personally I just use more grain instead of the sugar addition

The white sugar in the GW book is used instead of invert sugar. GW justification for using white sugar instead of invert sugar is that it's easier to get hold of. However if you google how to make invert sugar there's plenty of guides on how to do it. Personally I just use more grain instead of the sugar addition

yes i would too but I was unsure of how to do it and keep the recipe in perspective.

There's nothing wrong with adding sugar for a certain effect. I'd agree that with some cheap kits you should leave it out but in this case it'll lean out the beer.

I'd be interested to know how this beer turns out. Original recipe is Halcyon as opposed to Maris Otter, but that wouldn't make a massive difference I expect.

ok I'll see what transpires, everything is full up and i don't think I have enough bottles, there is Theakston's old peculier a week old in bottles, Boddingtons bitter in FV I, Timothy Taylor Landlord in bottles also a week old and now Worthington White Shield in FV2 - gulp :D

ok I'll see what transpires, everything is full up and i don't think I have enough bottles, there is Theakston's old peculier a week old in bottles, Boddingtons bitter in FV I, Timothy Taylor Landlord in bottles also a week old and now Worthington White Shield in FV2 - gulp :D
Sounds like you love exactly the same as me. I'll be round in a month or so ;)

Back