Sugar Tax effects on home brewers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomebrewDan

Reaction score
Hi guys

I was wondering if the new sugar tax on drinks is likely to have an effect on our home brew choices. I have 6 gallons of Vimto Cider that may become uneconomical in future :-(

Jamie Oliver may need shooting!!!:lol:

So kids get fat because they drink pop containing too much sugar and the artificial sweetener put into diet pop is bad for their health so as a parent which do you give them, i imagine Mr Osborne would say give them fresh juice which is fine if you can afford it.

What about chocolate, crisps, burgers, and pizza bought from fast food establishments are they going to tax fat in food?

I think if anything, it will encourage those who use sugar to experiment with using grains to boost their brews (if doing a kit) :thumb:

Hi guys

I was wondering if the new sugar tax on drinks is likely to have an effect on our home brew choices. I have 6 gallons of Vimto Cider that may become uneconomical in future :-(

Their talking about the threshold being 5g per 100ml of added sugar. Theres 4.7g added sugar per 100ml in vimto original squash. So no problem.

So kids get fat because they drink pop containing too much sugar and the artificial sweetener put into diet pop is bad for their health so as a parent which do you give them, i imagine Mr Osborne would say give them fresh juice which is fine if you can afford it.

What about chocolate, crisps, burgers, and pizza bought from fast food establishments are they going to tax fat in food?

our two (5 and 2) get the choice of water, milk or a thick ear.

YouTube Tim Minchin fat children ;-)

That explains the cause and solution ;-)

I am guessing this will affect cider and wine brewing more than beer.. Will juice concentrate be affected?

Only sugar I use in beer is priming and occasionally honey.

I am guessing this will affect cider and wine brewing more than beer.. Will juice concentrate be affected?

I use 100% juice which normally has around 130g per litre.

Hi guys

No might about it - Jamie Oliver just need shooting - anyone responsible for the daily use of the word pukka also falls into the shoot on sight category!

As I understand it, this is a tax on certain fizzy drinks, not a tax on sugar.

So in theory, you buy 6x2L of own brand diet cola and a bag of sugar?

Probably explains why I have never really understood either politics nor economics. Also why I am not overly keen on discussing either.

Not sure prices will go up that much, companies charge what they think people pay. The price of coke in the shop has no relationship to the production cost. It is the same with the pasty tax, they would not have gone up 20% as the shops already charge what they think they can get away with

Latest posts

Back