Summer brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lengie10

Reaction score
Hi All. Was bought a book at Xmas by my kids (DK Home Brew Beer) which has some great recipes in. I am going to try and brew one doing the Malt Extract version then adding hops (I don't have the mash tun etc....).

First Question - has anyone got any tips for doing this method?

Second Question - I want to brew a fresh citrusy/tropical note beer/ale - I cant seem to find one in the book. Does anyone have a good recipe using this method?

thanks

I have made a few summer ales one in particular with NZ hops

Lager malt 94% with 3% carapils or torrified wheat ( your choice and 3% acid malt

IBUs about 30 using green bullit and use hops only at 5 minutes and steep then dry hop. I have done this with rakau, motueka and nelson in varying quantities.

it gives a light coloured zingy ale courtesy of the acid malt. You can make your own choice of hops and make it 3.9 or 5.9% to suit your needs. A really nice summer quaffable ale!

PS just re read your post and noticed, NO MASH TUN sorry, but same principle if you use extract and a hint of acid plus NZ hops.

Thanks for this - however....lost.com

In the book I was bought it talks about bringing the DME to the boil then adding the hops for the recipe at varying stages.

Is there somewhere I can get a step by step guide and quantities please?

A couple mention steeping the grains in a bag (60 degrees for 1/2 hr) which I am able to do prior to the books.

Ultimately want a nice zingy Summer ale that I've made rather than a wilko's cerversa or woodfordes (all lovely btw)

A couple mention steeping the grains in a bag (60 degrees for 1/2 hr) which I am able to do prior to the books.

Ultimately want a nice zingy Summer ale that I've made rather than a wilko's cerversa or woodfordes (all lovely btw)
I found same trouble with books..wot they on about

having had a punt on youtube the steeping process looks quite simple.

Get grains - put them in a grain bag and basically keep the water at around 60degrees for 1/2 hr - its like a glorified soaking

then adding the Dried malt (or liquid if preferred) and once boiling, the hops - again in a bag is apparently best.

I'm not looking for complex but really fancy the sense of achievement that ive actually brewed it rather than warm a couple of cans of beer kit.

having had a punt on youtube the steeping process looks quite simple.

Get grains - put them in a grain bag and basically keep the water at around 60degrees for 1/2 hr - its like a glorified soaking

then adding the Dried malt (or liquid if preferred) and once boiling, the hops - again in a bag is apparently best.

I'm not looking for complex but really fancy the sense of achievement that ive actually brewed it rather than warm a couple of cans of beer kit.
What literage are you going to brew?
Bear in mind that you can't steep base malts.
Put your crushed grains into a bag,steep in a steady 65/66c water for 30 mins.

What literage are you going to brew?
Bear in mind that you can't steep base malts.
Put your crushed grains into a bag,steep in a steady 65/66c water for 30 mins.

that's essentially what the book says. I've also had a good look at videos - all say crushed grains

in terms of water - London water isn't that far off brown - also very hard!

that's essentially what the book says. I've also had a good look at videos - all say crushed grains

in terms of water - London water isn't that far off brown - also very hard!
:eek:Brown water:eek: Blimey, mine's hard water ok but it aint brown!!!!!!!!

Beginner too, but Check your local water board analysis? Do not boil LME or HLME. It is sterile. Heat HLME to 72*c then add your hot liquor and Dex. If you got hard water other local Brewers will advise on additives? Get fresh westcoast yeast?
Just wondered, Why are you steeping for a summer brew? Should it not be light? 2.4kg HLME = + 1200g Dex + Dry hop with 50g aroma to make for 23l? Dat's my summer ale,,, 4.2% ABV

not stepping for this brew. I think it was commentary in regards to the methods in the book.

when you say local water board analysis - what should I be looking out for?

the brew I am doing is a American summer IPA - citra/simcoe hops with 3.4kg of LME. this is my first 'boil' brew so fingers crossed. its cost double what a kit costs but I hear the results are a multitude better!

Back