Superdelic hops - new variety...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Superdelic hops are now available from CML. At £7.95 for 100g they're a bit pricy, same price as Nectaron. I've been using this hop, sourced in Australia, for some time and I they're really worth experimenting with. I put recipe of post #13 above. When I make up this recipe I'll be using a more neutral hop than POR for the bittering charge. Magnum would do it.

7 days in and ~ 90% through so dry hopped this morning. Just dropped in loose pellets, 50g ea of Citra and Superdelic. Usually use a hop cannister thing so will see how this goes...
20230908_080541_copy_1024x1491.jpg
20230908_075910_copy_1024x1260.jpg

Colour interesting but not fermented out yet and I'll cold crash to drop things out in a few days...

Just realised we switched to daylight savings time today, so later is now (it's 5:30pm not 4:30)... 🙂

Yes it's early so conditioning still underway, but wow this hop is really different. Massive candy/bubblegum aromas which gives the impression of a sweet beer, despite the decent bitterness (~ 50 IBU). It does have toffee malt so maybe it is? I'm actually not sure what I think, but will be forewarned for the next one. Good colour and clarity, a bit more carbonation, and more time to chill in the fridge when done should improve it.
Promising and pleasantly different. This could grow on me...
20230924_172408_copy_1024x1401.jpg

Last edited:
That looks a lovely pint. Doesn't appear undercarbed, but if you can still taste a residue of priming sugar then another week or two won't harm.
I received my order of Superdelic and Nectaron from CML in Scotland a week or so ago so I'm going to have a bash at the recipe in post 13, above.

Amazing bottle labels, by the way. 👍

Oh let me know how that recipe goes @Clarence. Quite keen to try it but now I know how dominant it is I'm unsure about the tropical/candy in a typically resiny/piney/citrus style...?

I might try a tweaked version with a simplified grain bill and Simcoe, Amarillo and Superdelic hops...

And yes I think another week will make a difference. It's been conditioning in a 20 deg brew fridge for 11 days so going ok but still quite early. Pretty sure there is some residual priming sugar sweetness there.

Plus I didn't allow for the dry hop additions so my estimation of volume was out when calculating priming sugar. I added 148g dextrose into what turned out to be 19.5 litres, so around 2.60 vol CO2 expected. Was aiming for 2.5 which I like in an APA...

Latest posts

Back