Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A busy night tonight.

6 x bottles red grape juice with strawberry and kiwi

1 x bottle of mulled red grape juice.

2 x cartons of apple/raspberry juice.

1 x carton of apple juice.

All the above are 100% juice.

3750g sugar.

Tannin - 1.5 litres of black tea (10 bags)

4 teaspoons youngs super wine yeast compound.

5 teaspoons Pectolace

5 teapoons yeast nutrient

5 teaspoons glycerine.

I haven't used the ASDA RGJ/strawberry and kiwi juice before so i am looking forward to tasting this.

a4444444444.png

Update

This didn't turn out as well as i had expected, when it cleared the sediment was over the 5 litre mark on the FV and didn't seem to be as clear as all my others juice wines, i decided to rack to 5 DJ's and added more KwiK Clear, they eventually cleared leaving approximately half a litre of sediment in each DJ, having tasted it and being happy with how it turned out i bottled it but didn't bother topping up as i didn't want to water it down.

I decided to try a couple more DJ's from scratch to see what the problem was as i couldn't see what was going on in the FV, i thought the original orange juice and white grape juice wines lava lamp effect was volcanic but this stuff gives it a run for its money. watch - http://tinypic.com/m/ivcwlt/4

I think i will stick to red grape juice in future. :wink:

Me too, found this really pulpy, wasted quite a bit when bottling, won't be doing this one again although the missus liked the taste.

Ive got one gallon of this on the go now. 2 1/2 litres Asda Red Grape, Strawberry & Kiwi. Its still bubbling away in the airing cupboard. I started it on March 4th so it's been going 9 days now. Hoping I don't lose too much at the racking stage. Im really looking forwards to trying it. How does it taste?
Ive also just done a similar one - Tescos Red Grape, Raspberry & Cherry. Started on Dec 9th & I racked that one on March 4th, didn't lose too much due to sediment and its clearing nicely without adding any Bentonite. Will be bottling soon.

You can taste the strawberry but it's not that much better than red grape juice and apple/raspberry and with this version you don't have the massive amount of sediment.

I've set two WOWs on the go, both using a bottle of Kedem White Grape juice. One was with two 650ml bottles of Copella Apple and Elderflower, the other with two bottles of the Copella Apple and Pear juice (two for two quid in Sainsburys at the moment so I thought it worth the gamble). For the pear one I boiled up the kedem grape juice, as Chippytea suggested (it contains Potassium Metabisulphate), for the elderflower I used it un-boiled. A day in and the elderflower DJ is bubbling away fine, thick crust, the pear is much less active. I'll let you know how they end up!

Update on my Asda Red Grape, Strawberry & Kiwi Wine.
I racked it today. My goodness what a lot of sediment! :-o
Must have been 3 or 4 inches in a gallon demijohn.
Tasted it though and its wonderful :tongue: lovely strawberry taste. Mmmm!

wow8.jpg

Mine turned out the same, nice but its back to the plain bottled RGJ and a carton of apple or apple/raspberry for me.

Easy Rosé wine (one of our favourites)

1 litre Red grape juice (ASDA)

1 litre Apple Juice (ASDA)

800g Sugar.

1 tsp Tannin or a mug of very strong black tea. (3 bags stirred every couple of minutes as you put the rest of the ingredients together)

1 tsp Yeast (i use youngs super wine yeast compound)

1 tsp Yeast Nutrient.

1 tsp Pectolase.

1 tsp Glycerene.

1 tsp citric acid or juice of one lemon. (optional)

I was trying to find a rose recipe WOW style, and came across your post on it, but it has only 2 litres of juice (And a mug of tea), do you then dilute this up to a full demijohn (an extra 2.5 ish litres) with water? (do i scale up the other ingredients too?
Or do I just use 4 litres of juice (50% apple, 50% red wine grape juice), I got 100% pressed red grape juice (likewise the apple juice).
Cheers

I was trying to find a rose recipe WOW style, and came across your post on it, but it has only 2 litres of juice (And a mug of tea), do you then dilute this up to a full demijohn (an extra 2.5 ish litres) with water? (do i scale up the other ingredients too?
Or do I just use 4 litres of juice (50% apple, 50% red wine grape juice), I got 100% pressed red grape juice (likewise the apple juice).
Cheers

You only use 2 litres of juice to a DJ because the taste is strong enough and any more would be overpowering, you top us to the neck with water after degassing, stabilising and clearing, if its too watery you can add juice to top up.
Only fill to the beginning of the shoulder as some juices ferment more vigorously than others, you only need a teaspoon of yeast, nutrient etc as it says in the recipe above. :thumb:

You only use 2 litres of juice to a DJ because the taste is strong enough and any more would be overpowering, you top us to the neck with water after degassing, stabilising and clearing, if its too watery you can add juice to top up.
Only fill to the beginning of the shoulder as some juices ferment more vigorously than others, you only need a teaspoon of yeast, nutrient etc as it says in the recipe above. :thumb:

Hi Chippy
I have a question...
Im making WOWs and when racking my last one lost a lot due to sediment.
Ive racked it, de-gassed, added crushed Campden tablet and Potasium Sorbate. If I top up with juice at this stage will it ferment into alcohol or stay as juice in the wine so lowering the alcohol content?

It wont ferment as you have killed the yeast, it will reduce the ABV but if you are only topping up from the shoulder not by much.

It wont ferment as you have killed the yeast, it will reduce the ABV but if you are only topping up from the shoulder not by much.
Thank you.
I need to top it up a lot so think I'll just make 5 bottles out of this lot rather than dilute it.
Ive just started another lot using
1 litre Tesco fresh Apple & Raspberry
1 litre Tesco fresh Apple & Blackcurrant
It's going like wildfire! :smile: I'm leaving the airlock off and covering with a jay cloth for first few days. Then I'll top it up when I put airlock on so long as it's calmed down by then.

The red grape, strawberry and kiwi i racked yesterday only got topped up to the shoulder as i had two inch of sediment t in the first DJ.

Hi guys, I've been making juice wines after reading this thread since last November. I've discovered a couple of things along the way and just thought I'd share them, sorry if these have already been covered.

I ferment in 5L mineral water bottles instead of glass demijohns, I only did this as they were a cheaper way to get started than buying glass but the extra head space you get over a 4.5L glass demijohn means I have never had one escape through the airlock. Also when I top up with water I can always top up enough to make sure I get 6 full bottles at the end.

I dissolve the sugar in as little water as possible, and always add it after the first carton of juice as the plastic demijohn isn't heat resistant and will deform if you put hot liquid in it, I top up with cooled kettle water to make up the difference.

Aldi stock a white grape and peach juice drink, this makes a really nice sweet white wine. I use 2 cartons as it's only 40% juice.

The square shape of a plastic DJ can help with racking. If you can tilt it at an angle safely for several hours before racking and not move it, a lot of the sediment will collect in the corner meaning less loss through racking.

I refrigerate the juice before making the must as again, this helps cool everything straight away, meaning the DJ isn't damaged by hot liquid, it also means that you can pitch the yeast immediately and get fermenting that much quicker.

Hope this is of help to at least somebody.

All the best!

Sam.

Thanks Aerosam.

I no longer use hot water to dissolve the sugar, I put the sugar into the juice with the DJ half full then use my degassing wand to dissolve it saving a lot of time and cleaning up.
There is a guide on how to make a degassing wand in the how to forum.

Hi with the shortage of white grape juice i have located a white grape and apple juice.
my question is will 2l of this work in a wow as im thinking the apple in stead of the orange ?
thanks all

hia it says 25% white grape 25% apple so god only knows where the other half is LOL.
only ever used aldi white grape in the past with a carton of orange or tropical witch was my favorite

hia it says 25% white grape 25% apple so god only knows where the other half is LOL.

It will be water, you will have to use 4 litres in each DJ or it will be very watery.

You could try a litre of red grape juice and a litre of apple juice which makes a really great tasting Rosé wine.

xl_redgrapejuice.jpg

9k=

Latest posts

Back