Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chippy_Tea said:
We have another convert. :lol:

Yep :D Sorry Chippy, I shouldn't have doubted you. WOW should come with a warning. Don't taste early.

To be honest there are a few versions I find perfectly drinkable as soon as bottled which is great if like me you have little storage room and less patience,.
I have noticed however even a couple of weeks can make a diference, I was not keen on the orange wow when I first tasted it but a couple of weeks later it was much better.

Yeah, totally appreciate that Chippy. My WGJ and Cranberry was unpleasant, TBH I was about to pour down the drain! and, as you say, 2 weeks later it was transformed!

Hi folks, started to make wine again and find this forum brill, Can anyone tell me why when I put my WOW in the fridge it looses its clarity and taste , am I doing something wrong, thanks Ted

hilly said:
Hi folks, started to make wine again and find this forum brill, Can anyone tell me why when I put my WOW in the fridge it looses its clarity and taste , am I doing something wrong, thanks Ted

Its called chill haze and i see it in some but not all of my WOW variants, i guess the best thing to do is only chill it for as short a time you can or ignore it like i do, shame it spoils the look of a really clear wine but at least it tastes the same. :thumb:

Which WOW variant are you finding a problem?

Chippy_Tea said:
hilly said:

Its called chill haze and i see it in some but not all of my WOW variants, i guess the best thing to do is only chill it for as short a time you can or ignore it like i do, shame it spoils the look of a really clear wine but at least it tastes the same. :thumb:

Which WOW variant are you finding a problem?
Thanks so much for reply , the wine I am on about is the original WOW which I should have said in the first place , thanks again

Hi All

After not brewing anything for about 15-17 years I am now well and truly hooked again

Have just started 5 litres of Princes Apple & Raspberry/WGJ WOW

o/g = 1100 again - seems to be a common starting point for my recent brews :D

Started on Sunday and at present have a superb lava lamp going off

Will keep you posted on progress

:cheers:

I'm a beginner at all this - started my home wine-making career with a Blackberry wine (which won't be ready to drink for several months yet and intending to do a sloe wine which I think will take about a year). I want something I can start drinking fairly soon and keep reading about these WOWs! I really want to try one but there's almost too much info I'm not sure where to start!! :hmm:

What do people suggest for a first attempt? I'm the sort that needs to follow a recipe to the letter as I'm not experienced enough to improvise yet!!

Thanks!

Padster said:
What do people suggest for a first attempt? I'm the sort that needs to follow a recipe to the letter as I'm not experienced enough to improvise yet!!

Yep, follow the recipe, it's brilliant :) Include WJG (white grape juice) or RGJ. I found WJG and Cranberry to be fairly quick. But beware, it's totally undrinkable to start and suddenly turns a corner and IMO, is wonderful :)

You'll still need to leave in the bottle for probably 2 months.

Padster i think you will find Apple/Raspberry and white grape juice (WGJ) very drinkable (its on of my favourites) use 1 litre of apple/raspberry if it is 100% juice and a litre of WGJ, if the apple/raspberry is 50% or less juice use 2 litres.

If you find the WOW guide a bit of a slog here are two videos of how to make the original, everything is explained from starting the wine to finishing and clearing it. :thumb:

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpkXCowv2Ys

Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJQQdkS0JAw

Pjam has posted before that he had trouble with his cranberry, i can honestly say other than the original orange versioon i have never found one undrinkable as soon as its finished but they do get better if left a while.

Thanks very much Chippy and Pjam - I love the sound of Cranberry and Apple/Raspberry so I'll give one of them a try. Thanks for the YouTube clips - that's really useful!

I'll shall start this weekend!

Hi... first time brewer noob question...

Ive just started a couple of kits and been lurking on here for tips..

Ive decided to try the wow but im a bit confused in which juices to buy...
Im going to try the orange/wgj and the apple/wgj versions... do i need the 'from concentrates' juice? or the other?

many thanks

El Draco said:
Hi... first time brewer noob question...

Ive just started a couple of kits and been lurking on here for tips..

Im going to try the orange/wgj and the apple/wgj versions... do i need the 'from concentrates' juice? or the other?

many thanks

Hi

As if the juice is 100% then 1 litre doesnt matter if its from concentrates or not ( i dont think i have seen any which arent from concentrates) If they are less tthan 100% then 2 litres of the juice and both versions use 1 litre of grape juice ( either red or white).

Dave

TBH, if I started again (I've only started the WOW's recently) I would do the original recipe - White Grape Juice and Orange Juice.

Though I must say, the WGJ and Cranberry is lovely.

You can use anything as long as it doesn't have preservative in it, preservatives kill the yeast so avoid Ribena cordials etc.

As has already been said if you cannot find a litre of 100% juice use 2 litres of 50% (or less) juice to make it up.

If you look through the thread there are many recipes with the sugar content and all the bits you need to add and how much of each. :thumb:

There are a couple of great videos below on how to make the orange wow, use this method and swap the orange for something else to make a WOW variant.

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpkXCowv2Ys

Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJQQdkS0JAw

Chippy_Tea said:

You can use anything as long as it doesn't have preservative in it, preservatives kill the yeast so avoid Ribena cordials etc.

As has already been said if you cannot find a litre of 100% juice use 2 litres of 50% (or less) juice to make it up.

If you look through the thread there are many recipes with the sugar content and all the bits you need to add and how much of each. :thumb:

There are a couple of great videos below on how to make the orange wow, use this method and swap the orange for something else to make a WOW variant.

yeah checked the videos out mate... been looking through so going to have a detailed study.. im trying to walk before i run :)
im doing the kits.. looking at wow's and eager to do a proper brew with fruit.. can well and truly say im hooked and i fluked finding the site from a youtube video..
Is it best to use nutrients with the yeast then?

I always add yeast nutrients ...... seems to work well :P but then I've no idea what would happen if I didn't :wha:

many thanks for the help... ive got two 25l fm buckets and a big plastic 25l/5gallon bottle... if I make the wow in one of those do I just times ingredients by 5 then?

Latest posts

Back