Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just degassed and stabilized my first ever WOW, and it tastes amazing already (had a sip of the test jar when taking SG), and is a deep deep red!

Recipe below..

P.S. Thanks to Richards red, and @Vinotinto - I don't know how to tag a member so they see this.

x8 litres of RGJ, asda del Simon £8
x2 bottles of wilkos grape concentrate £6
x2 tsp glycerine
x2 tsp pectolase
x2 squeezed fresh lemons
x6 teabags brewed in 1L water
x2 tsp nutrient
x1 sachet youngs bergundy yeast £1
x2 l boiled water, disolving 1kg sugar 50p

started 12/11 , SG = 1.104
Went crackers and frothed over my bucket, lid sat on loose, no airlock.

19/11 - pushed lid firmly home, and added airlock to bucket. No bubbling to speak off, so think it had finished by then. Left for 1 further week.

26/11 - been busy, and wanting yeast to clean up - racked to x2 DJ's and a x2 litre PET bottle. SG = 0.990

I racked onto wilko stabilizer, which already contains Campden tablets in it.
Added 2ml Wilko finings pack A, and 10ml pack B to each DJ. Chucked the rest, as I couldn't fine kwik clear. Within hours I can see it working.
Stuck in me garage @ 9 degrees to clear.
Will bottle and start drinking next Saturday.

For not much over a quid a bottle, this looks promising..

I'm going to do a controlled test, smaller batch just 1 gallon, and leave out the wilko RGC to see what happens.

Al

When does a wow become just wine?

Each 220g red grape concentrate bottle can produce a rose type wine, grape juice (however obtained) from grape or someone else juicing them is just grape juice which makes wine.

Can we call that a Wow?

WOW is an abbreviation of Wurzels Orange Wine if there is no Orange juice in it its not a WOW its a Juice drink wine or as i call it a supermarket juice wine, my opinion is whatever juice its made from if the ABV is in double figures its wine.

Had a weird one today... Went to bottle the cleared wow's and found bits floating about in half of the dj's.
They are out the way and no-ones has disturbed them... Anyone had a similar experience?

Ran them through a filter and everything is ok taste wise...

The tropical sj wow is the daddy so far

WOW is an abbreviation of Wurzels Orange Wine if there is no Orange juice in it its not a WOW its a Juice drink wine or as i call it a supermarket juice wine, my opinion is whatever juice its made from if the ABV is in double figures its wine.
Wurzels etc is def' on forum, but I remember making a wine some grape concentrate and added a bottle of juice drink, think was strawberry, raspberry and blackberry at end of ferm' didn't think much, 6 months later poured a glass for me & mrs, at same time we said WOW! It was really good, £20 red french blend good.

To me any unexpected ingredient that makes the wine great is a wow.

Added Fruit juices, tinned fruit, tea bags etc have been around in recipes for numberous decades don't all make you go WOW when tasted.

Maybe split sticky's into: Supermarket juice wines, grape juice wines, etc 1800 plus thread is hard to shift through for newbies and oldies :)

Oh, did have a good WOW, with a Tescos juice concentrate recently as well.

240g Youngs red grape concentrate
500ml Strawberry & raspberry, hidden in ingredients was 7-9% blackberry, reason why I tried it. Turned out a good red wine after 4-6 months.
700g sugar, pectolase, nutrient and tannin, didn't use camdens or citric, youngs super yeast compound.

Oh, did have a good WOW, with a Tescos juice concentrate recently as well.

240g Youngs red grape concentrate
500ml Strawberry & raspberry, hidden in ingredients was 7-9% blackberry, reason why I tried it. Turned out a good red wine after 4-6 months.
700g sugar, pectolase, nutrient and tannin, didn't use camdens or citric, youngs super yeast compound.

Trying to cut down on additives - if I were to make a wow for usage in < 6 months I can leave out the campdens and just use the potassium sorbate?

I don't see why not? There's often a trace of sulphates somewhere in the prduction of these juice concentrates although often omitted on the ingredients.

Something I've wondered about these wines, why do they only use 2L of juice and then make up to 4.5L with water and sugar? Does using all juice like in a turbo cider create too strong a taste?

Something I've wondered about these wines, why do they only use 2L of juice and then make up to 4.5L with water and sugar? Does using all juice like in a turbo cider create too strong a taste?

I guess because the original WOW was made with orange and grape juice 4 litres would have been overpowering, it may have been because they wanted to emulate wine not alcopop, i find 2 litres of 100% juice topped up with half a litre of juice then water to finish after racking (used to just use water) gives a nice tasting wine without going over the top.

i see on some recipes that although yeast nutrient is on the list , there is no yeast. is this just an oversight or left out on purpose. and if left out for what reason? cheers

No yeast? well if left out, no wine. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I'm genuinely impressed, until discovering this forum I only really made beer but having read a bit about this WOW lark I thought I should give it a go + put to use the 5 demijohns that I've acquired over the years.

So last weekend I degassed, stabilized and added finings to my first two batches, Wednesday evening it was properly clear so I bottled it into some recycled screw top wine bottles and fitted my nice new Novatwist caps. Had a little taste of both and they seemed okay. One of the caps on the WGJ and Apple didn't seem to sit quite right so I stuck it in the fridge to drink. We had it last night, both the wife and I were really surprised at just how good it was and at only one day after bottling!

Going to stick with this production line for definite :thumb:

Well I'm genuinely impressed, until discovering this forum I only really made beer but having read a bit about this WOW lark I thought I should give it a go + put to use the 5 demijohns that I've acquired over the years.

So last weekend I degassed, stabilized and added finings to my first two batches, Wednesday evening it was properly clear so I bottled it into some recycled screw top wine bottles and fitted my nice new Novatwist caps. Had a little taste of both and they seemed okay. One of the caps on the WGJ and Apple didn't seem to sit quite right so I stuck it in the fridge to drink. We had it last night, both the wife and I were really surprised at just how good it was and at only one day after bottling!

Going to stick with this production line for definite :thumb:

You had a Wow moment :thumb:

Back