Talking of WOW

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it is... I think they are rather imaginatively called "WOW variants" :)

I've done a few myself using different juices as a base... cranberry, blueberry, pomegranate went down well with the wife.

JohnSteed said:
It's that easy? Best get down to the supermarket. Are there any juices any one would avoid?

Dont try tomato!

Apart from that, get what ever you like and have some fun. As a rough guide, you need 1000g of sugar in 5 litres to give an ABV of around 12%. All juices have their sugar content printed on the carton so just add them up, see what you have and add the balance in sugar.

Personally I like to use 1 litre of white grape plus 2 litres of another juice.

Simples!

I usually use 1lt grape juice red or white and 1lt any juice, as it ensures you get some decent vinosity, although I tend to do 25lt at a time so you can mix the juices up a bit. I.e. 5lt grape and 5lt juice such as 2 apple, 2 pineapple, 1 mango, or 5 different ones. I then add 4kg sugar, 5tsp tanin, 5tsp pectolase, yeast nutrient, and a decent wine yeast for the style such as bordeaux. I do like Lalvin D47. Gives a good crisp dry finish. You can also add things such as raisins and or sultanas (chopped). But let your imagination run wild, and avoid tomato, or other vegetables such as V8. :lol:

bobsbeer said:
I usually use 1lt grape juice red or white and 1lt any juice, as it ensures you get some decent vinosity

I used to do the same but found some WOW's a bit lacking in taste, i now always use 1 litre of either red or white grape juice and 2 litres of whatever i want the finished wine to taste of.

JohnSteed said:
It's that easy? Best get down to the supermarket. Are there any juices any one would avoid?

I was no too keen on the original WOW so tried the apple version which was OK but i have only made two batches, my favourite WOW so far and the one i have on the go all the time is Pomegranate and WGJ, my second favourite is Cranberry and WGJ.

There are lots of different recipes in this thread - viewtopic.php?f=41&t=39846

I made the Pomegranate and WGJ variant with the adition of 200ml Lowicz Raspberry Syrup it has made a lovely rose! Would highly reccomend it.
I now have a Cherry & RGJ in the DJ hoping this will make a decent red :D

Latest posts

Back