Temperature Controllers for Brew Fridge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That makes for interesting reading - especially the price and efficiency with which the Chinese can churn them out!

I have a question for Cedaronics: Can you use the STC-1000 on a digital timer? Some people stick their HLT on a timer so that when they wake up, the HLT is already up to temp. If you did this with the STC-1000, would it come on and start to function, or would it physically need switching on at the unit first?

When power is applied to the STC, the unit comes to life - there's no need to switch it 'on', therefore whatever you have programmed it to do (cool/heat), then off it goes on its merry little way.

Quick question Tim, has the STC I bought a few weeks back got the 40amp relay as there is no mention of it in the instructions.

Let me check the records, Dennis. I have a feeling not. I'll get back ASAP.

I made a control box for my kegerator/HLT from one of the HK St1000s.
I think i calculated that the 10A was sufficient for my tesco 2.2kw element and successfully used it for several brews, using a timer plug too. However, last time I used it it melted at the output terminals so I binned it and built a PiD unit with SSR. So, cedaronics units are probably best. (i havnt looked at them though).
The idea of controlling a solenoid valve for FV temp control sounds feasible to me.

My temp controller from tim turned up yesterday, it only took a couple of days to get here, which is very goof in normal circumstances, even better given the time of year.

Not yet tested it, but it looks very well built, my 60watt heater I ordered from eBay also arrived yesterday, I hope to get the build done Saturday ready for a trial run, should be good!

pjbiker said:
10A was sufficient for my tesco 2.2kw element and successfully used it for several brews, using a timer plug too. However, last time I used it it melted at the output terminals so I binned it

I did wonder a bit when I read that PJ ! I melted quite a few myself , switching loads , before I moved to central heating timers with 10A contacts - and then discovered that relays had grown up and become contactors !

Of course , that was in another field altogether and as has been noted before , contactors are not relevent here now . If it wasnt for this site I would still be looking at grasslin timers controlling contactors in consumer unit fuseboxs of large dimensions with trips all over the shop . I shall always be grateful for how this sites members have explained PID units in a way that I could follow :)

Im new to AG brewing and i have a question on the controller, is it possible to use the controller for both a fridge for fermenting lager and also a converted warm fridge for fermenting ales. I understand not both of these actions could be done at once but im thinking plug the fridge in to the systems socket for the cold and plug my heater source in to the systems socket for the warm.

Advice would be appreciated!

Cheers in advance.

I think so - but do you mean two separate fridge units? One with a heater inside it?

Cedaronics said:
I think so - but do you mean two separate fridge units? One with a heater inside it?

Yea a traditional fridge that i can control for fermenting lager and another fridge with heater for fermenting beer. I doubt i would ever want to do both at once so its only a matter of controlling 1 at a time (although if i could control both at once it would be nice), or is there a cheaper single controller that i could utilise for both fridges seperatley?

I can do either a dual output controller with heating and cooling control (STC-1000) or a simpler single output controller which can be configured to either heat or cool.

ok i have been looking on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30TvX1Zz1-Y

i see its easy to wire up the stc1000 to get the 2 sockets one for cold one for heat ...
plus the sencor wire ...

i get the heat bit theres a tube heater and it plugs into the heat socket ..
i no you plug the fridge in to the cold socket and you place the sencer in the fridge ...

does this stop the fridge thermostat working as its still wired up ...

or do you have to take the fridge thermostat out ...

plus does the sencor come with the stc1000 or do you get it some where els...
if so where ...

i just dont get it ....

regards mick.... :hat: .

The sensor comes with it,the stc acts as a switch basically so whenit heats to temp the heater switches off until it gets to the default setting then clicks on again.in the summer if it were to get too hot :rofl: the fridge would click on and bring the temp down to your setting then go off, it's just a switching device but very handy.you don't do a thing to the fridge but plug it in. :cheers:

fermentall said:
The sensor comes with it,the stc acts as a switch basically so whenit heats to temp the heater switches off until it gets to the default setting then clicks on again.in the summer if it were to get too hot :rofl: the fridge would click on and bring the temp down to your setting then go off, it's just a switching device but very handy.you don't do a thing to the fridge but plug it in. :cheers:

but what about the original thermostat dont you have to by pass that ???

mick may said:

You don't have to, just set it to it highest cooling/lowest temperature setting which should ensure the fridges thermostat never gets activated.

anthonyUK said:
mick may said:

You don't have to, just set it to it highest cooling/lowest temperature setting which should ensure the fridges thermostat never gets activated.

ok thanks....

as my themostat is wankered it works but you cant turn it up or down ...

you can turn it...

it does turn till i clicks at one end ...

but i think that is to turn it off for cleaning or is it a defost setting...

theres no ice box...
so i think its just to turn it off to clean mabe ...

i dont had any paper work with it ..

i got it on free to collector gumtree...

the guy said it keeps beer cold but dont use it for food as the themostat dont work right ...

regards mick... :hat: .

Even with the fridge on its warmest / lowest setting it will still be below 18°c so you will be ok with fermenting ales. You may not be able to drop the temperature low enough to drop the yeast out, lager or ferment lager though.

joe1002 said:
Even with the fridge on its warmest / lowest setting it will still be below 18°c so you will be ok with fermenting ales. You may not be able to drop the temperature low enough to drop the yeast out, lager or ferment lager though.

i just looked now iv got the light working and changed the shelves for metal bar ones ...
exept the one with the king keg thats wood ...

as in this pic ...
002-23_zps79b0e63b.jpg

now iv just took 2 readings one on the wooden shelf its 8 c...
and the othere one is between the bottles on the top shelf and thats 10.5c

should it be that much between them it seams alot ot me ...

Back