Thames Water Report

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tubthumper

Regular.
Reaction score
I sent a querie via the Thames water sight asking for details of alcalinity ect that I got form this or other website, and the little bast***rds sent me email saying they wouldlookinto my querrie and send reply within 10 buissnes days
low and behold 9 buissnes days later I get an email with attached pdf
and it was the 2008 water report from my area
NOt what I asked them for at all.
now my prob is I forgot all the other stuffI need toknow about my water before I start to mess with it
only remember aclaline part any one got the info I need to ask I spent the last 5 days looking for the thread on all the sites I can find and cant seem to find it

I managed to get in touch with one of the chemist at anglian water and they gave me a full break down, the person opening your email may not have known what the hell they were on about and not understood.

you may have more luck emailling these guys

lab

full ion break down of the water with highs, lows and averages along with all the bacterial stuff and organic residue. for that year and the previous wasn't too much variation now I just use a test kit to get alkalinity and use CRS to correct it.

I meant to ask the OP but that sounds alot like the report I got off the web admittedly from 2008 2 pages of chemical levels I've not heard of lol. Has hardness as CaCO3 though :)

I have got a testing kit but am annoyed as I pay so much money to those guys that I want them to tell me . after all thier mission stament is
if our customers had a choice who supplied their water they would choose us

what do they take us for they have the worst record for leaks and probly charge the most for our water, then have the ordasity to have a hose pipe ban

It is not a statutory requirement for the water board to report Alkalinity and IIRC even Hardness, which is why they are missing from the report. . . . It is a statutory requirement that they report the levels of things that are harmful to health . . . which is why you get multi page report listing practically every known chemical in the book, apart from the ones we are interested.

The other problem is if you look on the report at the 6 ions we are interested in (The Big Six)

Calcium
Magnesium
Sodium
Sulphate
Chloride and
Carbonate (Alkalinity NOT hardness)

you will see that the number of samples used in the average is appallingly low. . . . again not dangerous to health . . . and don't make the water taste funny . . . so don't need to be measured as frequently, which makes the average value meaningless, and could miss the max and min values by a long way. Murphys will do an Big Six analysis for a brewer and report levels . . . but it is really only valid for that day . . . If like me you have a predictably stable water supply that is often good enough . . . I just measure alkalinity and calcium levels of my drawn liquor on brew day . . . and use the lab results for the other 4 .

So to recap . . . They do not have to supply information on the Big Six . . . and indeed if you were a commercial brewery you would have to pay to get that information.

They might not have to supply the info but if they are suppling a service and as we have no real choice as to who we get our water from , I ithink they should supply if we ask them to. after all we are the customer and we are allways right.

I'm not sure about thames, I am with United Utilities.
What I did was, go on United Utils Website, put in my postcode for a water quality report, I managed to get all the info i required apart from Carbonate Alkilinity.

I then rang them to ask for the Carbonate alkalinity expressed as Caco3, their chemist was very helpful and rang me back the same day.

My water quality stays pretty constant all year round, as the water comes from bore holes in the middle of nowhere.

Congleton water quality
mg/l or ppm
Calcium Ca 26.3
Magnesium Mg 3.78
Sodium Na 20.7
Sulphate SO4 43.5
Chloride Cl 17.5
Alkalinity CaCO3 51.3

Hope this helps.

Shane

the biggest problemI am having is using both yours and graham wheelers water calculators , from the info I get from thames water report I can get most of it but there is no mention of magnisium they have all the other stuff ( obviously not alcalinity just Cac03)
and am sure that was also one of the questions I asked them . Everyone else seems to get that mineral included in thier water report why not the thames one?

I remember having a really hard time trying to get the hardeness of the water out of them when I got a dishwaser.
And I know they dont have to tell us anything but the way they treat a customer is bordering on the criminal

Thames and Severn Trent are probably the worst water companies to get the information from . . .Like removing your own teeth without anaesthetic . . . Painful and fundamentally futile!

If you can get through to the lab boys they are pretty good . . . but customer (dis) service are hopeless

ST are awful.

I do though now have a contact who works for them and I have armed her with a list of the information I need - come on girl! Do me proud :pray:

Just tell them you are about to set up a koi Pond, with several thousands of pounds worth of fish in. And you need the info for that.

Now I am hoping you are not going to tell me you live on the 15th floor of a block of flats.

Shane

if i told them i was putting in a kio pond they would tellme to get the info from the seller and get my own water purifiers etc ( unless they were reaaly dumb )
not living in a flat

tubthumper said:
if i told them i was putting in a kio pond they would tellme to get the info from the seller and get my own water purifiers etc ( unless they were reaaly dumb )
not living in a flat

I was talking about telling the Call centre operator not the chemist, sorry I was only trying to help.

Good Luck with finding your information!

Shane

Latest posts

Back