The crossmyloof brewery yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Despite the fact the Real Ale yeast says up to 25C on the pack, I dont think it can take it. Im currently drinking the Bitter I made with it and it's quite sweet/diacytl-y Now this may because I drinking the beer after only 3 days conditioning but I've done this loads of times before (because I'm so impatient to drink my beers) without this diacytl sweetness. I free fermented this brew, I cant remember what temp I fermented it, but I think it was arount the low 20's.
I've repitched the trub into a another English pale ale and have been fermenting it a 16C/17C (which it seems happy at) so hopefully it shouldnt have this sweetness.

Despite the fact the Real Ale yeast says up to 25C on the pack, I dont think it can take it. Im currently drinking the Bitter I made with it and it's quite sweet/diacytl-y Now this may because I drinking the beer after only 3 days conditioning but I've done this loads of times before (because I'm so impatient to drink my beers) without this diacytl sweetness. I free fermented this brew, I cant remember what temp I fermented it, but I think it was arount the low 20's.
I've repitched the trub into a another English pale ale and have been fermenting it a 16C/17C (which it seems happy at) so hopefully it shouldnt have this sweetness.

I'm hoping this isn't the case. Myn was around 25.5c for the second day but I'd pitched at 26c (naughty I know) leaving the belt off. By the following afternoon it had more or less stalled.
I ramped up the heat (it had dropped a few degrees over night)from 21 to 22c and gave the beer a stir. It got the yeast going but like I said above after getting home from work it was around 25.5c bubbling well. I put part of this down to the yeast creating a couple of degrees of they're own heat.
It's been almost a week around 23c so I may have the same issue as yours especially since yours was the low twenties.

Saying that i tried a week old chub1 Chinook IPA last night and didn't notice any problems with it. But can't remember the temp I had this one at. I've got a bit slack lately with making brew notes

I'm hoping this isn't the case. Myn was around 25.5c for the second day but I'd pitched at 26c (naughty I know) leaving the belt off. By the following afternoon it had more or less stalled.
I ramped up the heat (it had dropped a few degrees over night)from 21 to 22c and gave the beer a stir. It got the yeast going but like I said above after getting home from work it was around 25.5c bubbling well. I put part of this down to the yeast creating a couple of degrees of they're own heat.
It's been almost a week around 23c so I may have the same issue as yours especially since yours was the low twenties.

Saying that i tried a week old chub1 Chinook IPA last night and didn't notice any problems with it. But can't remember the temp I had this one at. I've got a bit slack lately with making brew notes

The thing about diacytl is that it conditions out for the most part so even if you do get some from the high ferment temp the chances are that if you give it a nice long conditioning it will disapear.

I've been getting used to free fermenting as my kitchen temps are great during the colder months . 15C on the kitchen floor so good for pseudo lagers and 17C on the kitchen worktop so at the very bottom end of whats possible for ales. I'll need to continue to use my brewbag till autumn/winter now I think

Just got it....super fast delivery....I may be brewing later....

20170520_104638.jpg

They don't seem to be selling on eBay at the moment anyone know anything about this?
If you message them on Facebook with your order and PayPal email address you get 10% discount as this is what eBay charges them.My first order was through eBay and I sent them a message explaining I was a forum member and refunded the difference and explained why which was excellent.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

If you message them on Facebook with your order and PayPal email address you get 10% discount as this is what eBay charges them.My first order was through eBay and I sent them a message explaining I was a forum member and refunded the difference and explained why which was excellent.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Nice one.
Didn't know that. Ordered loads Friday on eBay. I'll know next time.

Nice one.
Didn't know that. Ordered loads Friday on eBay. I'll know next time.

Yes I'll second this.
I emailed the chap about an order and he said by going through fb I'd get the discount. If it wasn't already reasonable..

The Real Ale yeast ferments fast and has a high attenuation. 83% for the repitch of some trub fermented in one week

I really like the Real Ale and US Pale yeasts as oft-stated on this forum, and I intend to carry on using them. However... when it comes to re-using yeast I find the amount deposited in the fermenter is tiny compared to say, Notty, and isn't worth bothering with so it's a new pack for every brew. Why might this be? Is it still in suspension ( I don't think so cos it clears rapidly in bottle with no more sediment than Notty), or does the yeast cell count in the pack not reproduce to such heady numbers? What gives??

I really like the Real Ale and US Pale yeasts as oft-stated on this forum, and I intend to carry on using them. However... when it comes to re-using yeast I find the amount deposited in the fermenter is tiny compared to say, Notty, and isn't worth bothering with so it's a new pack for every brew. Why might this be? Is it still in suspension ( I don't think so cos it clears rapidly in bottle with no more sediment than Notty), or does the yeast cell count in the pack not reproduce to such heady numbers? What gives??

With the Real Ale yeast I had enough to re-pitch so I'm not sure why you may be encountering this.

Would it be possible for Admin to ask Crosmyloof for a 10 % discount code for forum members (i.e same discount as Facebook) and an email address that they could use to purchase stuff (like other suppliers).
I don't have anything to do with Facebook, although I do have a contact email address but others may not have this.

Would it be possible for Admin to ask Crosmyloof for a 10 % discount code for forum members (i.e same discount as Facebook) and an email address that they could use to purchase stuff (like other suppliers).
I don't have anything to do with Facebook, although I do have a contact email address but others may not have this.

If you just email them with your order you can get the 10% discount. I have a price list i can send you if you need one or dm me and i will give you his email. Not sure if i should post it on here. :)

Thanks for that. :thumb:
However I was thinking more for other members than myself.

Ah sorry Terry bit confused, its very hot here today. I meant anyone can mail them. If you bypass ebay you get the 10% extra off. Or anyone can message them on ebay and ask for their email. Putting something in the discounts for others to find easily is a good idea.

Ah sorry Terry bit confused, its very hot here today. I meant anyone can mail them. If you bypass ebay you get the 10% extra off. Or anyone can message them on ebay and ask for their email. Putting something in the discounts for others to find easily is a good idea.
I understand ebay run filters on messages which then blocks personal emails presumably to stop folks bypassing ebay on transactions.
There is, however, a get-round to this situation.
But I couldn't possibly comment on that :wink:

Latest posts

Back