The shed brewery

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got a 30a controller through the post this morning so made a box up so the hlt can be temp set. out of 9 brews ive forgot to heat the sparge water up 8 of them times so added extra time onto the brewday, which wont be the case now.

A few updates been happening.
Nearly fully insulated now just one wall left to do.
Incoming supply has been redone so I dont have any restrictions to worry about.
Brewing side radial took down and ring main fitted ready to take more elements. Will test in the morning and connect up ready for a brewday Sunday hopefully. :cheers:

Is that a T piece on the tap on the Mash Tun connected to the HLT for underletting?
When you sparge doesn't it try to flow back up it? or does it also have a tap on it to direct the flow?

DA

It is mate and there's only one tap on the hlt. It works great, no problems at all when under letting strike or sparge water.

2nd lot of elements bought today, quicker brewdays here I come :party:
And new hop filter being made.

That looks fantastic!

Did you do all the plumbing yourself? Is it all 22mm push fit plastic taken off the outdoor tap outlet?

I'm moving into the outhouse soon and will hopefully plumb it but I have no experience. .. yet!

Totally going to copy the sink/drainage board combo too!

Its 15mm push fit pipe from screwfix. And yes mate I did the water and electric, any questions don't hesitate to ask mate.
The bucket and tray work great, although I'm on the look out for a proper sink, mainly to plumb a tap up and have a bigger draining board.

That's great, work will start in April as I'm in Germany for most of March, I'll get in contact then!

Hi Dan

Your set up is looking brilliant, I have a quick question.

My set up has a kitchen extraction fan set up above the boil kettle, I have noticed that I get lots of drips from the extractor as the steam cools faster than it can be removed. I had mine set up about the same distance from the kettle as yours, but have since moved it a lot closer but I still get the same issue. Can you tell me if you've noticed the same issue and if so what have you done to counteract the drips.
Cheers

I have noticed I get more drips when its colder than brewing in the summer. I wipe it maybe twice during the boil but other than that I just keep it clean and have noticed no off tastes or problems with some dripping in.

Phew at least it's not just my set up then, I think I may try and come up with something to catch the drips

I'm not sure if there filters, just 2 metal grills that come off to expose the inside.
Should I try without them?

fyi i sneaked into the kitchen for a mid winter brew last year and sat my boiler under the SS cooker hood, I ended up with LOADS of condensation on the SS underside of the hood, and spent a lot of time wiping it away from dripping into the kettle. the cooker hood was sparkling clean after the steam treatment ;)

May be worthwhile fixing a wedge spacer at the bottom of yours so any condensation runs back and away from dripping into the brewpot? a bit of guttering at the rear could catch and dispose of it neatly..

i tried with grills on and off, the steam production was too much for the fan to extract either way.

i did consider sticking a hydroponics inline fan in a similar 2nd hand ebay/freecycle hood for my brewshed, but am now wheeling the boiler to the open doorway and using a 50cm fan to divert the steam out the door ;)

Good idea fil, I'm going to tilt mine a bit then put a small tray across the back. Will see how it goes :thumb:
In summer mine gets rid of all the steam even when it was a 3kw buffalo. Just seems to be struggling now its cold.
I think iI've got away with the drips because its not used for anything else and it gets cleaned regular between brews.

Altered the hood so there's now 10mm fall to the rear and I'll sort a catch tray out.
Also noticed the blow out the motor directly was a huge difference to what comes out the wall. So I realised the flex ducting I hadn't cut down and was bunched up causing a big restriction. So I've cut it and stretched it and now there's a huge amount of air coming out the wall so it should work a lot better.
I'm going to try and get some 120mm smooth rigid pipework which should be even better.

Back