The Sun.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The only time i would touch the paper is if we had run out of bog roll.

If "The views expressed by Kelvin Mackenzie about the people of Liverpool were wrong, unfunny and are not the view of the paper" why were they published?

Kelvin MacKenzie suspended from the Sun after 'racist' column on the people of Liverpool

The comment, in MacKenzie's Friday column, centred on Everton footballer Ross Barkley, who was punched in a Liverpool city centre bar in the early hours of Monday.

He wrote: "Perhaps unfairly, I have always judged Ross Barkley as one of our dimmest footballers.

"There is something about the lack of reflection in his eyes which makes me certain not only are the lights not on, there is definitely nobody at home.

"I get a similar feeling when seeing a gorilla at the zoo. The physique is magnificent but it's the eyes that tell the story.

"So it came as no surprise to me that the Everton star copped a nasty right-hander in a nightclub for allegedly eyeing up an attractive young lady who, as they say, was 'spoken for'.

"The reality is that at £60,000 a week and being both thick and single, he is an attractive catch in the Liverpool area, where the only men with similar pay packets are drug dealers and therefore not at nightclubs, as they are often guests of Her Majesty."

England midfielder Barkley, 23, has a Nigerian grandfather.

Labour councillor Mr Anderson had told BBC Sport: "Not only is it racist in a sense that he is of mixed-race descent, equally it's a racial stereotype of Liverpool. It is racist and prehistoric."

A News UK spokesman said: "The Sun's columnist Kelvin MacKenzie has been suspended from the paper with immediate effect.

"The views expressed by Kelvin Mackenzie about the people of Liverpool were wrong, unfunny and are not the view of the paper.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...suspended-sun-racist-column-people-liverpool/

Senior officers back Plymouth tea break police

_95650635_tea2.jpg

Senior police officers have defended a group of officers at the centre of controversy over a seaside tea break.

Eight officers from Plymouth Police E section emergency response team were pictured in The Sun on Plymouth Hoe with a headline: Thin Brew Line.

"Policing is full of wonderful real people... and all need to eat and drink!," Chief Constable Olivia Pinkney of Hampshire Police tweeted.

Devon and Cornwall Police were unavailable for immediate comment.

The paper pointed out the officers had stopped for 45 minutes at The Coffee Shack, which under police regulations they are allowed to do during an eight-hour shift.

But officers took exception to the "anti-police" coverage with Chief Constable Simon Edens of Northamptonshire Police, tweeting: "I encourage all officers & staff in @NorthantsPolice to take their break when they can, in or outside their station. #takeabreak #wellbeing."

Chief Constable Andy Cooke of Merseyside Police tweeted: "Shock horror. Police officers taking a break and drinking tea. In public! Brilliant scoop. Makes you proud of the British press."

Plymouth Police E section emergency response team tweeted: "We have been inundated with messages of support. As a thankyou the brews are on us if you are ever in our part of the world. #brewsforblues."

and when you need a copy you can never find one

I would have to rob one out of someones recycling box we have never bought a copy of the Sun and stopped buying the news of the world long before the phone hacking scandal finished it.

Kelvin McKenzie is a gaping anus and the Sun is written by idiots for idiots. Hopefully he'll take a wing turn into Liverpool one day and get beaten to death by an angry scouse mob.

As i said in the OP i do not see how the paper can distance itself from what he wrote they published it so surely someone else's head must roll.

"The views expressed by Kelvin Mackenzie about the people of Liverpool were wrong, unfunny and are not the view of the paper"

I guess the Kelvin McKenzie story is the headline grabber but it was nice to see the bosses standing up for their officers in the second part of the OP.

But officers took exception to the "anti-police" coverage with Chief Constable Simon Edens of Northamptonshire Police, tweeting: "I encourage all officers & staff in @NorthantsPolice to take their break when they can, in or outside their station. #takeabreak #wellbeing."
Chief Constable Andy Cooke of Merseyside Police tweeted: "Shock horror. Police officers taking a break and drinking tea. In public! Brilliant scoop. Makes you proud of the British press."

Back