To Trub or not to Trub

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chesters-mild

Reaction score
...That is the question
Seriously though after hitting (mostly) the water quantities, final OG . chilling removing 'hop stand' bag squeezing the bag out doing a whirlpool and leaving the kettle end product to let the cold break settle I still end up with 2 lit. of Trub in the kettle getting only 20 to21 lit into the fermenter rather than 22 to 23 lit. I'm sure that with time this would settle even more during fermentation. So why not get the Trub into the fermenter as well?
There will be little or no hop debris as I use a hop spider.
Do folks here ferment the Trub as well, I've read that some brewers say it's good for the yeast, others say it's a No No
Interested in the views of members who do or don't :drunk:
Cheers

My reasoning is the same as yours, it'll settle out better in the fermenter than in the boiler so recently I removed my boil filter and simply bung everything from the boiler into the FV, hops, trub the lot. I haven't noticed any adverse effects on quality.

I have a hop filter and whilst most my wort comes out clear through it I dont care what **** does as it gets low I tip the kettle and scrape the filter with a spoon.. I learn not to care now

I let almost all of it in too. I saw the original Brulosophy experiment and decided not to let it worry me. I also thought that the trub in the kettle will be lose and contain a significant amount of good wort, so why not let it ferment out and settle in the fermentor.

No off flavours or other problems in a couple of dozen batches.

I've done both. Normally I rack the wort off the trub when it's in my no chill cube then put the non trubby beer into my FV. I do this so I can harvest pretty clean yeast.
However I've noticed if I put the trub into the FV and use a flocculant yeast I get crystal clear beer in the bottle in a really quick time (as little as 3 days). Either way their doesnt seem to be any difference in taste though

I thought the trub was what's left at the bottom of the FV after fermentation?

copied myths and suprises at the bottom of this page,,

4. MYTH – Avoid the Trub!

You know trub – that stuff composed of hop residue, cold break, hot break, the ugly green stuff left at the bottom of the boil kettle. When I started I used a sieve to try to remove all of it I could before it went into the fermenter; now, it all goes in! If I were aging for a long time, I’d use a secondary and get the beer off the trub, but most beer is just fine on the trub. I just kegged a porter that sat on the trub for 35 days; it is delicious at 65 degrees and not carbonated. I can’t wait to see how it is cold and carbed.

I have very hit or miss methods.

For hop leaf I use a hop bag which more or less contains the hops but for pellets I just throw them in.

When it comes to draining the boiler, I run the wort through a sanitised sieve until my wrist aches and then let it run free until the debris starts to flow towards the outlet.

The only problem I've encountered so far is that, when using hop pellets, the trub from the FV has too much bitterness to be of any use for baking bread! :doh:

Latest posts

Back