Transfer to secondary/oats query!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishH

Reaction score
Afternoon folks! I am back brewing again after a 3 year hiatus...not sure what I was thinking, but anyways! I am starting off relatively easy with GEB sessionable ipa AG. I have had it in the fermenter for around 5 days now I was wondering when is the right time to transfer to my secondary? Do I go by yeast activity, or there lack of? Or just stick to certain time during the fermentation period?

My next brew is a clone, Brewdog x Clouldwater NEIPA. I have all my ingredients, but noticed I have ordered malted flaked oats...this may be an awfully silly question but the recipe says for flaked oats...is there a difference or is it they just simplified how they wrote out the recipe?

Many thanks as always!

Usual HB practice is 2 weeks in primary.

The flaked malted oats will be fine. Unmalted would typically be cheaper as the malting stage takes time and energy.

I would ask is there a reason for you to do a secondary? otherwise I would just leave it in the primary for a few weeks like slid says and carry on

Thank you both!

I guess my thinking there was to help with the clarity of the beer and overall end look of the product. There wasnt a whole pile of trub transferred as i hopped using a net but the grain seemed quite fine and i worry about it being quite 'trubby' :D

I agree with Covrich secondary is not really essential on most brews and only risks a possible infection even though with a good sanitation regime is not that likely but on certain beer types you are open to oxidation

Latest posts

Back