Treacle Stout, How much Treacle?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DamageCase

Reaction score
My current (second) batch of beer is not going to be ready until the end of January so in the mean time I want to get a quick brew going to tide me over a bit. At the same time I want to start experimenting a bit. I'm going to use a Wilko's Velvet Stout kit which I've read is very good for the price. My last Wilkos kit also fermented out in just 5 days and was pleasantly drinkable after just 2 weeks in the keg, so it will be nice and quick. If this works out well I'll do it again with a more expensive kit like a Coopers Stout. I want to use a kilo of brew enhancer, brew short to 18 or 20 litres (it's only a 1.5 kilo kit) and use black treacle to flavour it. How much treacle should I use to flavour it nicely without making too much alcohol to thin it?

I did coopers stout with 500g medium dme and a tin of treacle short brewed to 20L. Initial taste seems pretty good. Its only been in the bottle for 4 days so far though so i havent tasted one since bottling day.

I'd go straight for this recipe. It'll only cost £2 more and i recon the coopers kit will be a much better quality (though i'm just guessing) Theres a thread in the beer kit review section on it. Total cost should be £18.88.

Woodforde's Wherry from wilkos at £18 is also fantastic. 3 weeks in the bottle and its good. 5 weeks and its fantastic! :drunk:

my notes say 3.5% but i think thats cos my OG was low (guess I hadn't mixed up the ingredients well enough) So it's probably a little higher.

I'm fairly sure I've read somewhere that Treacle isn't as fermentable as brewing sugar or dry malt. That's why I wanted to use a kilo of brew enhancer.

Ive read that treacle is around 70% fermentable. I do remember also adding 100g dextrose to my batch as well to bump up the fermentables a little.

A kilo of brew enhancer would also work well. Though if using the brew enhancer i'd leave out the bag of 500g DME. (brew enhancer is 50:50 dextrose and dme anyway)

The Loiners are taking over!
Osset Brewery do a cracking dark ale called Treacle Stout, (try it in The Hop in the dark arches) in this they use black treacle, no idea how much though, sorry.

I hear people prime with about 120g in the keg and it's good that way, but never made it so can't really say. It's about 80% as fermentable as malt extract I think. :cheers:

Back