Tribute style ale anybody done one ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
42E39223-8595-45D9-9E84-B807D7FF1DF3.png

😀 the BJCP styles are strange, perhaps they are US-centric. After a bit of Googling I found this:

NOTE: In the 2015 BJCP Style Guidelines, English Pale Ale has been reclassified as Category 11 British Bitter which grew out of English pale ales as a draught product in the late 1800s.

And the only styles in this category are Ordinary Bitter, Best Bitter, and Strong Bitter.

So I chose Best Bitter which seems closest but doesn’t exactly feel right.

😀 the BJCP styles are strange, perhaps they are US-centric. After a bit of Googling I found this:

NOTE: In the 2015 BJCP Style Guidelines, English Pale Ale has been reclassified as Category 11 British Bitter which grew out of English pale ales as a draught product in the late 1800s.

And the only styles in this category are Ordinary Bitter, Best Bitter, and Strong Bitter.

So I chose Best Bitter which seems closest but doesn’t exactly feel right.

Quite a broad category that one, you could get quite a wide variety of beer in there couldn't you! :laugh8:

I have some concerns about culturing from the bottle. At my recent visit to the brewery at St Austell, on the tour the guide stated that the yeast was removed during filtering and so yeast was added back to the bottle for conditioning. I asked if it was the same yeast added back but he didn't know. It did though make me wonder about the whole principle of culture from a bottle these days with modern filtering at the microbiological level.
It's a good point, Anna, but I've brewed up a batch from my culture and, while it's a clean and fast fermenter, the beer has none of the characteristics you'd expect from a beer brewed entirely from a bottling yeast, which, in my experience is more akin to a champagne type yeast which doesn't ferment higher sugars and gives little or no character to the beer. i wouldn't expect to see such a thick and solid head on a bottling yeast, either.

I'm considering a Tribute clone too and harvesting yeast from bottle conditioned sounds a great idea. However, as a newbie do I just keep the last dribble from 8 or so bottles of the same beer (hell of a session!) and add a little nutrient and hey presto? A little/lot of help here would be appreciated?
Thanks in advance 👍

I think the best bet to culture some of the proper yeast would be to do so from some beer from a fresh cask. Not sure how comfortable a pub would be pulling a half pint into a foil covered flask though 😄 !

I'm considering a Tribute clone too and harvesting yeast from bottle conditioned sounds a great idea. However, as a newbie do I just keep the last dribble from 8 or so bottles of the same beer (hell of a session!) and add a little nutrient and hey presto? A little/lot of help here would be appreciated?
Thanks in advance 👍
I've just cultured yeast from a bottle of Proper Job, just one bottle though. It was pitched on Monday morning and is going like the clappers!
I also top harvested some more for a future brew this morning.
It was my first time doing it and may have made some mistakes with the culturing process, but seem to have got away with it!
It's all in the Culturing Proper Job Yeast. thread.

BJCP Doesn't have a style called English Pale Ale, at least not in the 2021 version.
Who gives a monkey's left boll lock what BJCP does. They're nothing to do with us. Why do we pay them any attention at all? The sooner we send Gordon Stong and his bunch of back to the land of cotton to get on with developing their own beer culture instead of trying to ring-fence everybody else's, the better.

Who gives a monkey's left boll lock what BJCP does. They're nothing to do with us. Why do we pay them any attention at all? The sooner we send Gordon Stong and his bunch of back to the land of cotton to get on with developing their own beer culture instead of trying to ring-fence everybody else's, the better.
AA
Didnt I say the same above. 😂😂😂

I've just cultured yeast from a bottle of Proper Job, just one bottle though. It was pitched on Monday morning and is going like the clappers!
I also top harvested some more for a future brew this morning.
It was my first time doing it and may have made some mistakes with the culturing process, but seem to have got away with it!
It's all in the Culturing Proper Job Yeast. thread.
Much obliged 👍

Everything to do with all comps world wide. They have set the bar in which to brew up to, no one else bothered.

Latest posts

Back