turbo cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hiya Rod,I used Asda juice. Dead easy..I put a 6 tea bag steep in but like Cwrw666 says it probably don't make a difference. I used CML cider yeast. I think mine came out at about 6%...no sugar added. Dropped super bright but very dry,which I like.

Hiya Rod,I used Asda juice. Dead easy..I put a 6 tea bag steep in but like Cwrw666 says it probably don't make a difference. I used CML cider yeast. I think mine came out at about 6%...no sugar added. Dropped super bright but very dry,which I like.
@Clint did you use just one 5g pack of CML Cider yeast for 20 ish litres? Did you use any sweetness? Any extra sugar?

Thanks. So, apple juice, tea, yeast. And extra sugar?
This is the second one I brewed, no tea just juice and yeast, it is bone dry but very refreshing
IMG_1633.jpeg

Made a couple of batches recently. Using Lidl Naturis apple juice. 3 x 1.5 litre cartons plus a cup of tea goes nice in my wee 5l plastic DJs. I use Youngs Cider yeast and the last batch I poured the juice on to the leftover yeast to get a double use out it. Turbo cider really is an excellent money saver. If you are into generic supermarket ciders, which is something I don't mind, it's easily their equal. And cheap as chips.

Also use the Lidl 1.5L packs. Got a load of it out in the garage now to be turned into cider.

For a straight turbo cider I use 18L juice, ~1L tea (5 bags well stewed), and 4 tsp of pectolase dissolved in the tea after bags removed, no idea if this makes any difference to anything but the first recipe I did had it so always stuck with using it. Use a cider yeast, usually the CML one, but for this brew I have Mangrove Jacks. Ferment for a couple of weeks, then into the corny and force carbonate to "fizzy" but not too gassy.

It's quite dry to drink so depending who is drinking it I may add a little sugar syrup or cordial when serving.

I have made turbos with cordial before now to add a flavour and bump the ABV a bit due to the extra sugar. Usually use the Lowciz ones from the Polish shop as they are a sugar syrup and don't have any yeast killing preservatives in them.

I backsweeten mine with sweetener. Last time 10 tablets which is obviously roughly one per glass of cider. This next batch has six as I ran out so experimenting with a drier finish this time around.

Put some apple juice in a saucepan add tea bags to taste. Bring to boil.
Let cool with bags still in. Squeeze bags pour liquid into fermenter.
No weakening of juice.
Can also boil any sugar additions at the same time.

I backsweeten mine with sweetener. Last time 10 tablets which is obviously roughly one per glass of cider. This next batch has six as I ran out so experimenting with a drier finish this time around.
What tablets do you use? I have been looking to do a turbo cider at some point and was considering sweetening with Xylitol as that seems to have the closes flavour to real sugar without that after taste, at least thats what my research has suggested. Do you get any after taste with tabs?

I currently have a Mangrove Jacks Blueberry cider about ready to bottle, reading at about 6%, but would like to make my own from juice rather than a kit, just don't want it too dry.

What tablets do you use? I have been looking to do a turbo cider at some point and was considering sweetening with Xylitol as that seems to have the closes flavour to real sugar without that after taste, at least thats what my research has suggested. Do you get any after taste with tabs?

I currently have a Mangrove Jacks Blueberry cider about ready to bottle, reading at about 6%, but would like to make my own from juice rather than a kit, just don't want it too dry.

I use sweetener in my tea so I might be a bad sample tbh. But for me it doesn't carry a defined sweetener favour through the cider. I can tell the difference in a cup of tea for example, but I think the sweetener just takes the dry edge off the cider. Bearing in mind at my dose rates it's one sweetener to 500ml of really dry, flavourful cider.

Honestly, I think you could go to far but the over sweetness would ruin it before it became obvious that it was sweetener you were tasting IMO.

FWIW I'm sure the ones I used were Lidl ones. But I really don't think it makes any odds.

I use sweetener in my tea so I might be a bad sample tbh. But for me it doesn't carry a defined sweetener favour through the cider. I can tell the difference in a cup of tea for example, but I think the sweetener just takes the dry edge off the cider. Bearing in mind at my dose rates it's one sweetener to 500ml of really dry, flavourful cider.

Honestly, I think you could go to far but the over sweetness would ruin it before it became obvious that it was sweetener you were tasting IMO.

FWIW I'm sure the ones I used were Lidl ones. But I really don't think it makes any odds.
Thanks for that, I think I just need to get a small batch 4.5ltr experiment on the go and try a few tabs, I have plenty of them here as the partner uses them. At the worst, I have cider with a tang, not like its hateful, just not keen, but it wouldn't go to waste!!

I've been doing a AsDA own 100% apple juice and 140ml of Lowceiz Raspberry syrup. No extra sugar or tea
Also using the Magroves jacks Cider Yeast
Bottling with a 1/2 tsp of sugar & 1tsp of Splenda.
Everyone is enjoying it and can't make it quick enough...just don't operate heavy machinery while consuming...lol

Latest posts

Back