turbo cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been doing a AsDA own 100% apple juice and 140ml of Lowceiz Raspberry syrup. No extra sugar or tea
Also using the Magroves jacks Cider Yeast
Bottling with a 1/2 tsp of sugar & 1tsp of Splenda.
Everyone is enjoying it and can't make it quick enough...just don't operate heavy machinery while consuming...lol
Like the sounds of that recipe...

I just make a dry version @ 6.5% but have a selection of syrups to sweeten.

I have Monin; Strawberry, Apple pie, Cloudy lemon, Toffee Apple and Grenadine.
My Cidree (TM) from Tiree has been one of my best sellers!

Monin syrups are fantastic. Make good liqueurs too.

Cheap brandy + monin = amazing. Toffee & cherry.

I made mine today:

20 litres ASDA Apple Juice (from concentrate)
5 tea bags steeped in 1 litre of the juice
2 x packs CML Cider Yeast

OG was 1.045

I was going to put in 3-4 tsp Pectolase but mine had gone out of date in Nov 2022 and was all stuck together so I left it out.

🤞
I have made turbo cider a few times now with and without Pectolase and it doesn’t seem to make much of any difference, at least to my non discerning tastes.

I've done this mix many times. It gets you drunk yes. It's not amazing though. I always find it comes out quite this and watery.

I've also not used yeast and done a wild ferment. I added 2kg of honey and 2kg of blended bramley apples with the skin on. It didn't make a huge difference

I was going to ask why it was being used?
Pectolase is an enzyme that breaks down pectin, which is found in fruit and can leave a purement haze. So you tend to add Pectolase when making fruit wines or ciders. However a quick google search suggests that a lot of the time the clear apple juice typically used for turbo cider contains limited if any pectin.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/232...s are rich in,and other cell wall components.
Which does make me suspect that the suggestion to add Pectolase is a hold over from people making traditional cider from fresh apples or with not from concentrate apple juice but is largely unneeded for Turbo Cider.

I've done this mix many times. It gets you drunk yes. It's not amazing though. I always find it comes out quite this and watery.

I've also not used yeast and done a wild ferment. I added 2kg of honey and 2kg of blended bramley apples with the skin on. It didn't make a huge difference
Each to their own, I would describe it as a Fizzy commercial cider, best drunk ice cold when the weather has hit 30°C or higher.

Ok apologies if this is silly question but to flavour and add some sweetness at the end could i add apple high juice?

Asda high juice is

Ingredients
Apple Juice from concentrate (50%), Water, Sugar, Malic Acid, Flavourings, Preservatives (Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Metabisulphite), Sweetener (Sucralose)

Question as it has preservatives in it will this stop the sugar in in being used by the yeast? ie will remain sweet/ I know the sucralose will not ferment, but due to Potassium Sorbate that will stop fermentation and the sodium metabisulphate as a preservative will not ferment.

If I added this at the end would it add flavour and sweetness?

I presume this could only be a still cider than as it would not carbonate in the bottle if i added priming sugar?

Looking for something to add some flavour and sweetness, i had used stevia as sweetener on previous brew, ideally with the ability to carbonate in the bottle.

very new to this so any help much appreciated

Latest posts

Back