Two-thirds of drivers 'unaware of mobile penalties'

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I cannot believe 64% of the 2000 drivers the RAC quizzed didn't know the fine had increased if this is the case maybe its the reason we still see so many idiots still doing it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44584261

Almost two-thirds of drivers are unaware of the punishment for using mobile phones at the wheel, more than 12 months after the introduction of tougher laws, a poll has found.

The RAC found only 36% of the 2,000 UK motorists quizzed knew offenders face six penalty points and a £200 fine.

Some 41% believed more visible law enforcement is needed, and 22% advocated stronger penalties.

The punishment was doubled from three penalty points and £100 last year.

This made it enough to ban those with less than two years' experience.

To get back behind the wheel, these offenders have to retake both the theory and practical parts of the driving test.

The new rules apply in England, Scotland and Wales.

When the new penalties were introduced, Transport Secretary Chris Grayling said they would "act as a strong deterrent" to mobile phone users.

Department for Transport figures showed 780 people were injured in accidents in 2016 when a driver was distracted or impaired by their phone - up 10% on the previous year.

In the poll, 18% of drivers backed the blocking of mobile signals within cars.

RAC road safety spokesman Pete Williams said the law around hand-held phone use by drivers "could not be clearer".

"Yet every year there are dozens of fatal crashes caused by motorists who have allowed themselves to be distracted by their phone," he said.

"There remains a hard core of drivers who continue to ignore the law and all the risks associated with hand-held phone use."

Figures obtained by BBC Radio 5 Live last year revealed that 290 new UK drivers were disqualified in the first six months since the change.

In Northern Ireland, motorists caught using a hand-held phone while driving face a £60 fine and three penalty points.

A public consultation on a government proposal to increase this penalty closed last month

Oh I dunno. I more or less stopped watching the news ages ago. Fed up of hearing Brexit moaners, climate change crapola, who won bake off and sport rubbish. And that's just scratching the surface. Think I only know most of what's going on from other folk talking and this forum! Maybe everyone who has a driving license should receive a letter about law changes, then they really have no excuse.

Maybe everyone who has a driving license should receive a letter about law changes, then they really have no excuse.

Should be in every newspaper the first edition of the new year: "Things that changed in the law"
I don't care about phone fines, I use it as a routeplanner when I drive.

If the stats in the OP are correct something needs to be done to let these selfish pricks know the fine has increased for me it should be an instant months ban for a first offense that would stop it.

If the stats in the OP are correct something needs to be done to let these selfish pricks know the fine has increased for me it should be an instant months ban for a first offense that would stop it.

They say ignorance is no excuse, and I guess a fair few of them are fibbing, but what of those who really haven't heard of the changes? Still inexcusable to use a phone in the car whatever the penalty, I agree. The electromagnetic shield which disables them sounds the best bet!

I didn't know the penalty had changed but I don't do it anyway.
Exactly the same. I couldn’t tell you what the penalty is for using a phone but I just wouldn’t do it.

I constantly see drivers of x5 bmws, range rovers, mercs and other top spec cars with hand held phones to their ears, I'm sure all these cars are equipped with Bluetooth which is perfectly safe IMO. They just can't be arsed to pair their phone to the car or are clueless on how to do it, fine these idiots a weeks wage and then I bet they'd do it.

I don't think taking on the phone is any worse than on Bluetooth or for that matter being tired, angry, impatient, stupid, taking to another passenger, or generally being wrapped up in your own ********..
a fun result of the law is people trying to text with their phone down out of sight which is much worse than all the above... go reactionary legislation! woot woot. speaking of which, how's that war on drugs going? still winning and making society healthier. no. what a surprise.

I don't think taking on the phone is any worse than on Bluetooth or for that matter being tired, angry, impatient, stupid, taking to another passenger, or generally being wrapped up in your own ********..
a fun result of the law is people trying to text with their phone down out of sight which is much worse than all the above... go reactionary legislation! woot woot. speaking of which, how's that war on drugs going? still winning and making society healthier. no. what a surprise.

Let's repeal the drink driving laws while we're at it, they've had no effect!

reactionary legislation! woot woot. speaking of which, how's that war on drugs going?

If you do not make the punishment inconvenient these ******* morons will carry on thinking calling or texting while driving is worth the risk as it's only a fine and a few points a ban is the only way to stop them.

If you do not make the punishment inconvenient these ******* morons will carry on thinking calling or texting while driving is worth the risk as it's only a fine and a few points a ban is the only way to stop them.
hmm, and the only way to stop criminals selling and doing drugs and destroying polite society with their hippy babies is to lock them all in jail and throw away the key? that's a proven technique. proven wrong.

by the way I notice you singularly avoided all the points I made..
OK, to address your points - using Bluetooth is apparently not much safer than using a handheld mobile according to RoSPA research, but using a handheld mobile makes you four times (if I recall correctly) more likely to be involved in a crash. In my opinion use of mobile phones as a comms device in a car (as a driver) should be outlawed altogether.

People use their phone in their laps now, this is absolutely true. What's needed here is immediate enforcement of the law. Once enforcement is widespread people will get the message - same thing happened with drink driving, albeit it took a lot longer because it was ingrained as socially acceptable.

And of course if people are saved by the imposition of these laws then they're worthwhile, particularly for drink driving and speeding. Can't have a drink and get in the car? Boo hoo, hard luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm, and the only way to stop criminals selling and doing drugs and destroying polite society with their hippy babies is to lock them all in jail and throw away the key? that's a proven technique. proven wrong.

We are not discussing locking people up for using mobiles while driving so i really do not understand why you continue discussing it.

How many of these drug takers drive while under the influence i imagine a similar amount to those that drink drive so the existing punishment is enough of a deterrent which brings me back to my original point a fine for using a mobile and driving is not enough of a deterrent these idiots will carry on doing it as the chances of getting caught are small and the fine although inconvenient doesn't stop them going about their business as usual start taking their licences for a month and they will think again.

Last edited:
Cumbria Roads Police‏ @CumbriaRoadsPol

Third vehicle caught this evening using their mobile phone whilst driving, Driver of this horse box engaged in a conversation on the M6. Two drivers in Carlisle also reported for insurance offences. #Putitdown #Itcanwait #Fatal4Uk

DgZJqtIXkAIqXVj.jpg

the point is that laws aren't always very good ways of managing society. see drug laws.
I think the penalty for actually causing an accident should maybe be higher, but using a phone isn't necessarily any more dangerous that taking to a passenger. the issue is attention. hard to make a law about not being an idiot though so they just go for the whole "it's illegal to have a specific thing in your hand" idea.
idiocy.

It has been proven talking to a passenger is not as distracting as talking on a phone as you have an extra pair of eyes and ears to spot any hazards.

Back