Ulez expanded to include whole of outer London

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fascinating article, @iancon. Never crossed my mind that city design also contributes to polution levels in street.
Good arguement for having a fully electric bus fleet

At least 510 Ulez cameras were stolen or vandalised between 1 April and the end of August this year, figures from the Metropolitan Police show.
The force is dedicating a "significant amount" of resources to tackling Ulez camera-related crime, Met Commissioner Sir Mark Rowley has said.
Two arrests have been made so far, with one person charged and released on bail and the other case discontinued.
Sir Mark told LBC there were "other investigations ongoing".
The ultra-low emission charging zone was expanded on 29 August to include outer London, with cameras installed to enforce it.
Drivers must pay a charge of £12.50 per day to drive a non-compliant vehicle anywhere in the zone under the controversial clean-air plan.
The Met commissioner said of the figures: "Clearly this is quite serious damage it adds up to in terms of property and that is the basis [on which] we judge it.
"So it is getting, I guess, a significant amount of policing resources."
The Met said that there have been approximately 160 reports of cameras being stolen and 350 being damaged.
The actual number of cameras affected may be higher as one report can represent multiple offences.

Asked what message the commissioner wants to send to those involved, he said: "We are investigating the crimes and we will go after you and we will find you."
A Transport for London (TfL) spokesperson said last week that camera vandalism will not stop the Ulez operating London-wide and that "all vandalised cameras are replaced as soon as possible".
"Criminal damage to Ulez cameras puts the perpetrators at risk of prosecution and life-changing injuries, while simultaneously risking the safety of the public."
A Met spokesperson said: "The Met has and continues to treat criminal activity in relation to Ulez seriously and has deployed considerable resources to our operation.
"We continue to monitor anti-Ulez protests, as we do for all potential public order matters, to consider if bespoke policing plans are required."

BBC News

Contractors are now being attacked by irate idiots, both those trying to maintain the ULEZ infrastructure and those just maintaining the rest of the traffic network.
All being subtlety encouraged by Tory politicians.

Contractors are now being attacked by irate idiots, both those trying to maintain the ULEZ infrastructure and those just maintaining the rest of the traffic network.
All being subtlety encouraged by Tory politicians.

Destroying the equipment will cost them money too, but I'm guessing that they don't see that though. Idiots.

Destroying the equipment will cost them money too, but I'm guessing that they don't see that though. Idiots.
They dont need to destroy it they only need to disable it the papers will of course show ones that have been destroyed not those that simply have paint on the camera to stop it working.

The cost of replacing or fixing them is borne by someone.
I imagine the person sent to wipe the paint off or pull the gaffer tape off the camera is already employed i doubt they have a team of camera fixers who were employed when the cameras were installed.

I imagine the person sent to wipe the paint off or pull the gaffer tape off the camera is already employed i doubt they have a team of camera fixers who were employed when the cameras were installed.
Your point being that if someone is already employed it costs nothing?

Your point being that if someone is already employed it costs nothing?

Did i say it cost nothing no what i said was its unlikely the people hypothetically wiping spray paint and removing gaffer tape from a few cameras a day have been employed to do this.

Last edited:
Well - given the scale of the vandalism, they're going to need to employ full-time teams. But whether it's employing new full-time teams or someone who was fixing 10 potholes a day and now only has time to fix 5 potholes a day because they're spending half their time fixing cameras, there's always a cost, whether it's financial or more potholes.

Well - given the scale of the vandalism, they're going to need to employ full-time teams
If it doesn't die down as people become used to paying or not entering they can be paid using the new money generated by all the other working cameras.

Latest posts

Back