Uninsured drivers.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That used to be a way of getting cheaper insurance for young drivers but it doesn't apply these days as the insurance cost is based on the the most expensive of any named drivers. It's still a bit cheaper than it would be for the young person because of any discount the parent gets, but not that much cheaper.
My wife insures our second car with me and my 21 year old daughter as named drivers - this was at the suggestion of the insurance company.

What really bugs me though is that the basis of any form of insurance is that the many pay a small amount so that the few are covered when they have an accident. But then the insurance companies decided to sort the many by their risk of having accidents so they could offer cheap insurance to low risk groups but of course charge a fortune to high risk groups. On this basis I would never have learned to drive.

These kind of shananigans by insurance companies are one of the reasons I never did. Driving is so expensive, there's no way I'd be able to afford to run a car. Add to this driving in London is ridiculous, in that because of jams, traffic lights etc, I can commute on my bike almost as fast as someone doing the same distance in a car and definately quicker than the bus (my bike commute takes 1 1/2hrs and the bus takes 2)

A "high risk driver"? That was probably me when I took my Driving Test!

However, as I threw my police helmet into the back-seat of the car I looked at the Driving Examiner ... :)

... and we both knew that I wasn't going to fail. :whistle: :whistle:

Happy Days! :thumb: :thumb:

The issue is computer games

Kids play car racing games, smash em up, press reset and go again.

They get a car, drive like its a game and smash bang sadly they dont always get to walk away.

Putting your child on your insurance is illegal if they are the main driver of the car and its registered in their name and you claim you are.

Plus they dont build up any no claims discount and if they smash the car up you will lose your no claims as it wont be protected when they are driving.

There was a company called Quinn based in ireland that offered cheaper insurance to young people.

They went bancrupt by the amount of claims.

i wouldnt insure anyone under 30 without at least �£20,000 on the table. Imagine paying out after some 18 year old muppet in his boyed up fiesta writes off a �£60,000 BMW

The issue is computer games

Kids play car racing games, smash em up, press reset and go again.

They get a car, drive like its a game and smash bang sadly they dont always get to walk away.

I've played racing games all my life, love them. When I got behind the wheel of a real car however I still recognised that I couldn't treat it like a racing game.

Correlation is not causation. Idiots will still be idiots, regardless of the available media to them.

The scientific belief is down to brain development, coupled of course with a lack of experience. A selection of young drivers have yet to have the ol' frontal lobe fully developed - the part that says, "This may be a stupid idea, buddy" basically.
As a result, they're more likely to take stupid chances because they literally aren't thinking about things properly.

So no, I wouldn't place the blame for the accidents squarely at the feet of video games.

i wouldnt insure anyone under 30 without at least £20,000 on the table. Imagine paying out after some 18 year old muppet in his boyed up fiesta writes off a £60,000 BMW

If you are going to charge £20,000 for insurance you are going to have to build a lot of car compounds and get a lot more police on patrol because no one under 30 is going to be insured.

Correlation is not causation. Idiots will still be idiots, regardless of the available media to them.

Great post shampoo and to add, idiots will be idiots whatever age they are.

If you are going to charge �£20,000 for insurance you are going to have to build a lot of car compounds and get a lot more police on patrol because no one under 30 is going to be insured.

I know chippy

thats why i dont own an insurance company.

Came round a bend yesterday to a young girl on a scooter coming round on the wrong side of a blind bend. fortunately i was nearly stopped. she was going so fast she only just swerved in time.

what going on between her ears? head on into a transit van at 30mph!!!!!

could have killed herself

I know chippy

thats why i dont own an insurance company.

Came round a bend yesterday to a young girl on a scooter coming round on the wrong side of a blind bend. fortunately i was nearly stopped. she was going so fast she only just swerved in time.

what going on between her ears? head on into a transit van at 30mph!!!!!

could have killed herself

exactly that - she would have killed herself but you would have felt guilty for what happened

there are dangerous bike riders out there - but even more so car/van drivers as they are so complacent in theyre metal box's :nono:

No insurance, no licence.

wwwwwwwwwwww.jpg

exactly that - she would have killed herself but you would have felt guilty for what happened

there are dangerous bike riders out there - but even more so car/van drivers as they are so complacent in theyre metal box's :nono:

As i said i was nearly stopped as its a tight narrow blind bend. if i was travelling at the same speed.....

I ride bikes too. Anticipation is the key to survival on insane roads

As i said i was nearly stopped as its a tight narrow blind bend. if i was travelling at the same speed.....

I ride bikes too. Anticipation is the key to survival on insane roads

....theyre not always empty sunday runs...

Latest posts

Back