Unsealed hops.....problem?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snoopdong

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just preparing to do my first AG with a Brupaks London Bitter mashkit... and I have found that the supplied hops, rather than being nicely vacuum packed, are in fact open. :roll:

On the basis that they are normally vacuum packed and once opened you forum folk tend to seal and freeze, I am guessing that being open for an inderterminate time is likely to be a problem?

What should I do?

(I have actually emailed brupaks and hope that they will send through a replacement, but failing that, any remedial action?)
Regards,
Chris

What hops are they and do you get a good hoppy smell off them.

Might be an idea to return them and report the problem

Sean_Mc said:
What hops are they and do you get a good hoppy smell off them.

Might be an idea to return them and report the problem

I think it is probably a blend of hops, I have googled it and no pointers... I am guessing they would be protective over their recipe.

Would it matter more with certian varieties of hops? Will I get the bitterness but not the aroma?

They don't smell anywhere near as pungent as other hops I have encountered.

I have emailed Brupaks as I live miles from the store where I bought the kit.

Thanks,
Chris

Well 24 hours later no reply.

To be fair I have emailed them in the past once regarding a deiscrepancy in info on one of their instructions on volumes, I got a reply almost by return from their Director Clive Donald... so I remain hopeful :?

evanvine said:
I will be very interested to hear if they acknowledge your email, and if indeed they offer to replace the hops.
Best of luck

I am happy to report that I recieved an email from the MD at Brupaks and he was happy to replace, so thumbs up all round to Clive and Brupaks, hopefully the post will get it to me for some brew action at the weekend! :thumb:

snoopdong said:
I am happy to report that I recieved an email from the MD at Brupaks and he was happy to replace, so thumbs up all round to Clive and Brupaks, hopefully the post will get it to me for some brew action at the weekend! :thumb:
Well done Snoop and a big :thumb: to Brupak!

Nice one SD :thumb:

Only had to report one problem with Munton's and they too were excellent in the response

Well, sorted out the brew on saturday, quite pleased for my first AG.

Ended up with a SG of 1.050 which I think is quite pleasing..... although I only yielded 18 litres (from a start of 25) due to loses to grain hops and boil. :oops:

Will do a brew day write up when I have a few more minutes.

Best wishes,
Chris

Latest posts

Back