Vac-pack for hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know this is hardly an original idea, but I thought I'd get one of those vac-pack machines to reseal my part-used packets of hops.
There are dozens of different machines from the usual online suppliers but I got this one:
JML Food Sealer: Vacuum Heat Sealer Machine (on offer at £32)

Comes with a couple of different width 'rolls' of plastic tubing that you can use to make bags whatever length you like, which seems like a good idea.
It works pretty well: you have to push the lid down quite hard to get it to lock properly and the vacuum pump is a bit noisy, but it seals reliably and securely.
I was hoping it would be able to seal the bags the hops come in but they must need a higher temperature to melt (plus they are 'smooth' bags so you need an external pressure to squeeze the air out).

This earns an @TETB 'recommend' athumb...

Screenshot 2023-01-28 at 10.46.09.png

I do this too. Got my one from Aldi though. Ambiano or something. I love it!

I tend to weigh my dry hops and throw them in one of these bags, so it's easy when I need them a few days later.

I have these in the freezer at the moment that were left over from my British Golden Ale, which I'm gonna use for a user-upper soon. Already weighed and in Brewfather.

Use them for sous vide too.

20230128_142717.jpg

Last edited:
I have one but the bag roll must be of a decent quality as I have had some of the cheaper ones vac and seal but start to release the vacuum part of the process. I wonder if anybody else has found this with some of the bag rolls?

I tend to weigh my dry hops and throw them in one of these bags, so it's easy when I need them a few days later.

I have these in the freezer at the moment that were left over from my British Golden Ale, which I'm gonna use for a user-upper soon. Already weighed and in Brewfather.

View attachment 81227
I've never tried sous-vide, but I've watched enough M@sterChef to feel like I'm an expert already (wink!)
I use whole hops which don't keep half as well as the pelleted ones... I used to seal the bags up with tape but they always go dry anyhow, so I'm telling myself it really won't take too many non-thrown-away packets to start saving me money (who am I trying to kid: I just love a good gizmo)

I’m a regular sous vider so it’s a no brainer for me, as everything on hand. That said , I don’t do it with hops from geterbrewed as they already come in those easy resealable bags so no faff

View attachment 81227

Interesting, I just keep them in their original bag. I find if you don’t reusing the vac bag can be problematic due contaminates.

Sorry Lee I'm confused.

I've found the longer you cut them the less they vacuum.

My machine advises not to cut lengths of more than 30cm I think it was. I've noticed it doesn't vacuum properly if you do, and/or the vacuum comes loose.
I think it's most likely that the reason the machine recommends not to use especially long bags is probably just because the vacuum pump is just set to run for a certain period of time, and it might not have enough time to fully suck all the air out.
Maybe you can work round it by pushing the 'vacuum and seal' button, then hitting 'cancel' before it starts sealing, and then running 'vacuum and seal' a second time?

I think it's most likely that the reason the machine recommends not to use especially long bags is probably just because the vacuum pump is just set to run for a certain period of time, and it might not have enough time to fully suck all the air out.
Maybe you can work round it by pushing the 'vacuum and seal' button, then hitting 'cancel' before it starts sealing, and then running 'vacuum and seal' a second time?
Interesting! Worth a go. Thanks M!

Thats what I do with whole hops from the garden. Its standard timings aren't setup well for them as theres so much air in the system.

Latest posts

Back