Weak Mangrove Jack kit advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrums1

Reaction score
I made up a Mangrove Jack's Juicy IPA kit using Mangrove Jack's Pure Malt Enhancer, so good quality ingredients. I have made this kit before and it was fantastic.

However, the SG measures of this kit measure just 1.2, very very weak and the wort tastes like water as you might expect. There is absolutely no reason for this as I followed the instructions to the letter. I have made many Mangrove Jack's Craft Beer kits and they have always been great.

Can anyone offer any ideas, please?

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    17.7 KB · Views: 77
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    20 KB · Views: 75
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    25.8 KB · Views: 70
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    15.8 KB · Views: 76
If that is your starting gravity, it looks like 1.012 which is more usually a finishing gravity. If you haven't fermented it yet then something is wrong. The wort in the trial jar looks very pale.

So, a couple of suggestions:
Have you made sure that you have mixed the wort well? It looks like you have from the pics of the fv but....

Also, what does your hydrometer read when tested in water at 20 degrees? Have you dropped it since you last used it? Did you wash it in very hot water last time you cleaned it as this may have weakened the glue and allowed the paper scale to have slipped thereby giving a false reading?

What a nutter I am. You were spot on, somehow I had forgotten to give it a fine stir!. I have made lottos these and it just goes to show how anyone can make a simple mistake. many thanks, yeast now pitiched

Latest posts

Back