Welsh National Homebrew Competition 2017

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nabbed 3rd Place in 02A International Pale Lager with Disco Biscuit. Originally brewed as a German Pils, but in my mind it didn't have enough hop bite to enter it as one.

Very Pleased!

Congratulations :thumb:

I go to second in the wheat beer category, very happy indeed with that. I didn't place in American Pale, to be honest that beer was past it's best and I'd have preferred to enter something else but real life got in the way. Will be interesting to get the comments back on both beers.

Congratulations :thumb:

I go to second in the wheat beer category, very happy indeed with that. I didn't place in American Pale, to be honest that beer was past it's best and I'd have preferred to enter something else but real life got in the way. Will be interesting to get the comments back on both beers.

Very well done, it's nice to see other forum members placing :thumb:

I scored 39/50 for my Strong Bitter and 33/50 for the lager. All I can say is that there must have been some really good entries in there. Everyone that entered deserves a huge well done. It takes some courage to put your product under scrutiny at a national level.

Wow yeah if you scored 39 then some of those bitters scored very highly. I got 30 and 27 for mine.

Wow yeah if you scored 39 then some of those bitters scored very highly. I got 30 and 27 for mine.

All very respectable scores. I am just really looking forward to the feedback, which was my primary incentive for entering, as I know my current process lacks a decent degree of control on the fermentation side :whistle:

Also, I'd like to say thanks to the forum and it's contributors for providing a great resource for learning about brewing.

Getting those scores with my 6th and 7th all grain brews in my first national competition is testament to the quality information available within this community.

All very respectable scores. I am just really looking forward to the feedback, which was my primary incentive for entering, as I know my current process lacks a decent degree of control on the fermentation side :whistle:

pdf score sheets with feedback are up for download on the website, around 12 hours after the competition finished. :thumb:

congrats to those who won. it was a really good event, Tiny Rebel new brewery and tap room is very impressive.

Well done all! I scored 28 for my IPA, it was let down by a lack of bitterness that I was already aware of having tasted a bottle a week before submitting it. I'm not sure where I went wrong with it as it's my 'house' special, I may have buggered up my hop measurements or they were passed their best but it's the first time it's been a less than ideal beer. However, I'm definitely bitten by the competition bug and will be looking to enter again.

James

28 is still a very good score. if that was only comment, then at least you know you can fix for next time!

and fact you knew what was wrong with it before hand, is a good thing! it's annoying when the batch you brew for the comp is not your best one, happened to me this year as well.

glad you enjoyed the comp anyhow!

28 is still a very good score. if that was only comment, then at least you know you can fix for next time!

and fact you knew what was wrong with it before hand, is a good thing! it's annoying when the batch you brew for the comp is not your best one, happened to me this year as well.

glad you enjoyed the comp anyhow!

Thanks Toffee, to be completely honest I was expecting it to get ripped to shreds so it was quite a nice surprise.

James

I didn't, that's bloomin brilliant! :thumb:

sorry mate, looks like the Mad Dog prize was for best IPA, not best US Pale. My mistake. But looks like you won some Blichmann stuff:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/WelshNationalHomebrewCompetition/permalink/708950332621673/

Notice of all the prizes has been posted on the Facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/WelshNationalHomebrewCompetition/

And looks like Tiny Rebel are happy for us to use their brewery next year, which is excellent news.

sorry mate, looks like the Mad Dog prize was for best IPA, not best US Pale. My mistake. But looks like you won some Blichmann stuff:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/WelshNationalHomebrewCompetition/permalink/708950332621673/

Notice of all the prizes has been posted on the Facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/WelshNationalHomebrewCompetition/

And looks like Tiny Rebel are happy for us to use their brewery next year, which is excellent news.
I'm not on facebook, any chance of a copy and paste?

I'm not on facebook, any chance of a copy and paste?

Sure:

"And the last table prize is for Table 7: Pale American Ale, which was won by Michael Young. He is winning a selection of brewing goodies from the amazing people over at Blichmann Engineering.
I hope you will enjoy them. Well done to Michael, and thank you very much to Blichmann Engineering for sponsoring us again this year."

Think the prizes and medals etc were being posted out soon, so you should have whatever is in this lot soon! :cheers:

This years comp is now open. As there is no UK national in 2018, expect it to fill up fairly quickly. its taking place back at the Tiny Rebel brewery in Newport, if anyone wanted to steward. We had a good time last year! https://homebrewcompetition.wales/

I’m quite tempted to enter this. I’m quite interested in getting feedback on my brews and I have a Dubbel that will have had 4 months conditioning by competition time.

Back