Annual Homebrew Competitions 2023

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was asked to post a list of competitions people might enter so here is the start of a list of annual competitions that are BJCP sanctioned (so use the BJCP style guide and score sheets, and provide feedback to every competitor).

Scottish Nationals
Judging: January, Registration: August

UK Nationals
Judging: February, Registration: November

Lager than Life
Judging: March, Registration December

LAB Open
Judging: May, Registration: January

Great British Beer Festival
Judging: August, Registration: May
(NOT BJCP SANCTIONED)

Welsh National
Judging: September, Registration: TBA

The following club competitions (open to all) are also BJCP sanctioned but these often have a theme that changes each year such as Spruce beers, Hoppy beers, Dark beers, etc.

Reading Amateur Brewers
Judging: April, Registration February

@Braumeister has confirmed Reading will be running 2 competitions this year. The second is “Spruce Rising”, Judging August, Registration TBA. This competition requires that you brew a beer that showcases Spruce.

Anglian Craft Brewers
Judging: September, Registration: March

Norwich Amateur Brewers
Judging: October, Registration: March

Midland Craft Brewers
Judging: November, Registration: August

LAB Black Friday
Judging: November, Registration: September

The month these competitions are judged, and registration opens, tends to be pretty consistent but can change so keep an eye on the competitions section.

There will be other competitions I have forgotten to mention so please feel free to chip in with additions.

I haven’t included ad hoc competitions like Attic Brew or any supplier organised competitions such as those run by Malt Miller. These often are not BJCP sanctioned, feedback may be limited or not provided, and often only the winner receives anything in return.

Last edited:
The ACB comp will be later in the year...probably September....might clash with the Welsh but will be small enough not to use up too many judging resources.

If like me you struggle to remember when you should be bottling for certain comps (and not drinking all your entries), I've put together this list showing the shipping window dates per competition.

There should be links to the sites in the comp name, but doing this on Android Excel so not sure if it will work.

CompetitionShipping WindowJudging Date
Anglian Craft BrewersSunday 13th - Friday 25th AugustSaturday 2nd September
The Malt Miller/Elusive 7th BirthdayOn or before Thursday 31st AugustEarly September
Welsh NationalSunday 3rd - Friday 15th SeptemberSaturday 23rd September
Norwich Amateur Brewers BLAMFriday 6th - Friday 13th OctoberSaturday 14th October

Let me know if I've missed any, and I can add in.

Last edited:
Re the ACB comp....the 13th is actually this Sunday.

Why I chose the Sunday I don't know. Maybe I though that Monday was the 13th!!!

Anyway...I'm not going anywhere...so if beer turns up on Sunday then it wont be a problem!!!

Latest posts

Back