West Yorks member saying "hi"

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. B

Reaction score
Hi,
New member from close to Huddersfield/Holmfirth saying "hi".

I was pointed here from another forum :)

I have been brewing for a long time (about 20 years!), but far from being an expert.
In fact in many ways I'm clueless. Possibly because I do it in fits and starts - a couple of years on, a year off, etc.
I make my standard wines and try new ones now and then. Some experiments turn out nice, some don't work at all.

I've always done the odd beer or cider kit, but only recently started regularly doing beer.
Since I feel the kits are cheating somewhat, I've moved towards modifying the kits (or unscientifically adding a bit of something from the homebrew shop!), and am now looking to do away with kits and just use malt extract, hops & stuff like spray malt, crystal malt, etc.
After a bit of online reading, it seems that this is called extract brewing, and lots of people do it!

I haven't got a lot of space for equipment, so I boil in a large stainless steel pan on the hob, and ferment in plastic brew buckets - no dedicated boiler for me.

Will lurk around a lot reading How To's and other stuff :cheers:

Welcome to the forum Dr B, its nice to meet you.

I did see your post on the other forum, and knew it wouldn't be long before you were directed over here. I'm sure having 20 years experience, there will be plenty of questions to answer from other members.

Hiya Dr B, I'm a newbie too to the forums (and brewing!). I'm based in Birstall, not far from you!

I must get my eyes tested, I thought “Since when has Bristol been anywhere near Yorkshire?” :oops:

Welcome to the forum Doc. :cheers:

Thanks guys.
Yes, Birstall is not too far, although a bit awkward to get to as I have to go down Leeds Road which is usually busy.

Seems like there are plenty of local brewers!

Dr. B said:
Thanks guys.
Yes, Birstall is not too far, although a bit awkward to get to as I have to go down Leeds Road which is usually busy.

Seems like there are plenty of local brewers!

There's always the M62. You can call off at Ikea and get yourself a trial jar :lol:

robbarwell I actually work in Attercliffe (although I've never heard anyone say "dee dar") and lived here for quite a few years.
Used to brew cider when I lived in Netheredge, and wine and a bit of beer when I lived in Woodseats in a cold house with no heating - I had many stuck ferments, I can tell you!

Dr. B said:
robbarwell I actually work in Attercliffe (although I've never heard anyone say "dee dar") and lived here for quite a few years.
Used to brew cider when I lived in Netheredge, and wine and a bit of beer when I lived in Woodseats in a cold house with no heating - I had many stuck ferments, I can tell you!

I used to live in Barnsley prior to moving back the Sheffield, 6 years ago. In Barnsley Everyone from Sheffield was referred to as Dee-dars. In Parts of Barnsley Radio Sheffield is locally referred to as Radio Dee Dar. If you ever listen to praise or grumble on saturday afternoons you will change your opinion

I put it on my profile as Dee Dar land as a referreal to Mr Barnsley Brewer (perveyor of fine malt ales). I think I will alter it back to Dronfield...

In the meantime, now that you have heating you may find that you have to find cool places for your FV. Mine is near the back door, Er indoors likes the place nice and tostie in the winter

Latest posts

Back