What abv %

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll go and dig one out then. Why do you think it'll start to bubblr and escape?

The liquid is only upto the bottom of the shoulders of a 4.5l DJ

Thanks for the heads up then. Just put it into a deep dish just incase.
Actually just hoping for some sort of activity more than anything. Just sitting there at the moment. Just 4l of Apple juice with floaters at the moment

Oh that won't be happening. I'm off to work for 12 so the missus may have a bit of a surprise when she wakes up in the morning!

Get yourself a thermometer you need to know the temperature when pitching the yeast, too high you'll kill it, too low and it'll take ages to start.

So just had a quick look of it then. Doesnt seem to be much happening after 12 hours. Theres a few mm of build up on the top of the liquid but no sign of any bubbling at all. Its been wrapped in a towel over night too to keep the temp up a little.

I'll invest in a thermometer later on today aswel.

Should i keep this one going or do I admit its been a duff one and start from scratch?

you can't really go that wrong with what you've got, give it a few days in a warm place and I'd be surprised if it didn't kick off

Give it time it'll de fine, if you have it in a FV don't worry about not seeing bubbles you hydrometer will tell you what is going on.

So just home from work and had a little check on this. Alls i can really say is that theres a layer of smeg, about 1cm tall ontop of the AJ. No bubbles seem to be present and the missus says she hasn't noticed any either.

Id upload a pic of what ive seen from the start but i cant seem to figure out how to on my phone.

I'm going yo assume that everything is ok though?

It's started by the sounds of it. It can take anything from twelve hours to a couple of days...

It's started by the sounds of it. It can take anything from twelve hours to a couple of days...

So even though its being tediously slow, the build up on the top is showing me that something is happening?

Also, the colour is still very dark. Is this normal too or will it clear up before i move it to a 2nd DJ?

One last thing, is there anything i can do to help speed it up? Does the air lock need to be changed at all or is ot ok to keep the same one in throughout it all?

Thanks

So even though its being tediously slow, the build up on the top is showing me that something is happening?

Also, the colour is still very dark. Is this normal too or will it clear up before i move it to a 2nd DJ?

One last thing, is there anything i can do to help speed it up? Does the air lock need to be changed at all or is ot ok to keep the same one in throughout it all?

Thanks

It will speed up. It will be cloudy initially and dark, but as the yeast does its thing it should improve. The best thing to do to speed it up is....nothing! This whole process involves patience, and leaving it alone (tempting though it is to shake, nudge, and move it around in general). Leave the airlock alone too, unless it needs topping up, but have another cleaned and sterilised ready for your second dj.

When I do a cider (just maturing a nice mulled cider for Christmas) I use the Lidl stuff. It's 0.49p per litre and has so much sugar in it my hydrometer reads 1.050 straight out the carton, so I don't bother adding anymore!
This. Lidl juice also has more tannin than other juices I've tried, I don't bother adding any.

S

Thanks

The same one is fine.

You are going to have to learn the same hard lesson we all learn and believe me i mean all, patience, it will start when it starts and finish when it has finished you cannot rush it.

Having re-read the whole thread the only thing i can think of that might have gone wrong is you pitched the yeast when it was too hot, if you haven't already got one get a hydrometer and trial jar (around £5 from Wilko) this is the only way you will know what is going on, get a thermometer for next time and pitch between 20c - 30c.

Thanks for all the responses guys. I'll just leave it now until it at 6 days. So monday I'll transfer it to the 2nd DJ.
Apologies for all the questions, probably coming across as a right numpty for something that seem so simple!

I know i am repeating myself but you need to take a hydrometer reading, if its a slow fermentation and you stop it early because you think it has finished you could end up with an undrinkable sweet wine.

Latest posts

Back