What abv %

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Popping into town soon to pick up a hydrometer, tester tube and thermometer.

Is there anything else that I'll need to get?

When transferring to the 2nd DJ, i'm assuming this is done when the hydrometer is at around .995??

Also, with the transferring, do i need to add anything into the 2nd DJ? I was just going to top up with more of the same AJ to the top of the shoulder?

If you are going to put the cider you pour into the trial jar back into the the FV remember to sterelise it and the hydrometer, if you are going to taste it and pour the rest away don't.
You may need campden tablets, I use them when I rack but don't make cider so am not sure if they are needed.

When is the stuff in the sample tube ok to sample? I'm going to take a tester tonight to measure with the Hydrometer to get a rough idea as to where things are upto. I probably wouldnt pour it back in though, just straight down the plug whether i tried it or not.

If you haven't used one before this may help.

hydrometer.jpg

Just thrown in the hydrometer, the reading is showing below the blue marker at 1.10

The blue marker says 'wine start' , then beer/lager start in the 2nd section.

Had a little taste and just tastes like very sweet apple juice.

Is that right? Id have thought by now that the hydrometer would have sat deeper showing a much lower reading?

Starting to do things now. Theres a bubble in the airlock every 5 or so seconds. So how far apart should they start to be before i take another tester and transfer into the 2nd DJ?

Just done another tester on this (been on 9 days) and its tasting like cider, and relatively strong. Its bubbling about every 20 seconds. Is it the right time to move it over to the 2nd DJ and topup with more AJ?

After that, bottling should be done within a week?

No need to move it until fermentation is finished, the more you play with it the more likely you are to introduce something into you don't want.

Latest posts

Back