What are you drinking 2024.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Porter for second half
IMG_20240430_205733.jpg

Some solid work in the garden, a half time refresher Poes Boston Bitter
View attachment 98919
View attachment 98920
The umpire has called time, but enough time to try my Foreign Extra Stout 3 litres of sour. Tasting very smooth but going to take time to mature. Bottled on the 17th April so a long way to go I think
View attachment 98921.

I tried one a bottle of my experimental Guinness clone earlier in the week. Simultaneously tasting nicer and less like Guinness (not the aim :laugh8:, nicer and more like Guinness would be better). Even the Missus liked it and she doesn't like anything above about 3 SRM 😁.

Anyway, on to the point of the post - I used Munich Classic yeast as it is POF+ (Potential Off Flavour positive) and you can taste the phenolic background. I'm assuming that it does a similar thing to the sour you added ?

I tried one a bottle of my experimental Guinness clone earlier in the week. Simultaneously tasting nicer and less like Guinness (not the aim :laugh8:, nicer and more like Guinness would be better). Even the Missus liked it and she doesn't like anything above about 3 SRM 😁.

Anyway, on to the point of the post - I used Munich Classic yeast as it is POF+ (Potential Off Flavour positive) and you can taste the phenolic background. I'm assuming that it does a similar thing to the sour you added ?
Yes I can taste the sour but it has mellowed since bottling, the high alcohol content is quite obvious too.

Love to hear more about you Guinness clone may be out of my skill set being new to this and have only made a variant of Coopers Irish Stout that is still to bottle carb and mature.

Love to hear more about you Guinness clone may be out of my skill set being new to this and have only made a variant of Coopers Irish Stout that is still to bottle carb and mature.

I did it after watching the Greg Wallace at the factory (or whatever its called) when they went to see how Guinness was made. Then there was another post about a study some researchers had done about Guinness yeast which gave me a clue as to what yeast to use. The 'Guinness method' is to do a pale ale mash and combine it with a steep of dark/black malt. At some point I'm planning to do another (hopefully better one) but if you want to know the details of what I did for this attempt then PM me.

Latest posts

Back