What are you drinking tonight?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Off to my local tonight for a friends birthday bash. They are a free house (proper one, not tied to any pubco) and always have Batemans XB plus two guest ales, sometimes three. They try to have a 'golden ale' pump and a 'more traditional ale' pump. Its win win for me as I'm happy drinking XB so anything else is a bonus, and they keep a damn good pint.

Then I've got to get up tomorrow and do it all again for another mates birthday in the same boozer.

Life's a bitch, sometimes. :lol:

Batemans XXXB and Victory Ale are both on my, hazy sort of to-do, list of brews from GW's book. I am quite taken by the differences between these recipes in fact. So different as to wonder whether are significant differences between bittering hops (at all).

Batemans XXXB and Victory Ale are both on my, hazy sort of to-do, list of brews from GW's book. I am quite taken by the differences between these recipes in fact. So different as to wonder whether are significant differences between bittering hops (at all).

I don't know if you've seen this Slid; might be if interest :

https://www.insidebeer.com/articles/20150310

Bateman's XXXB is my all time favourite beer; at the windmill bar at the brewery it's absolutely fantastic.

I don't know if you've seen this Slid; might be if interest :

https://www.insidebeer.com/articles/20150310

Bateman's XXXB is my all time favourite beer; at the windmill bar at the brewery it's absolutely fantastic.

Very interesting indeed. Many thanks for this link, which does give an improvement on the GW recipe. Slightly more Crystal and just Goldings.

Also the background is illuminating and does explain the differences in approach to recipe construction.

Many thanks for posting this, much appreciated. :thumb:

Here we go. The Black Kolsch cost me less than a tenner to brew.

IMG_7092.jpg

Saltaire Blonde. In have had this before and I'm sure I remember it being quite nice, with the Saaz being as refreshing change from the fruity / citrus notes more common in blonde ales these days. However, this just isn't doing it for me tonight, it just tastes a bit bland. Best have something else to cheer me up. 😀

That sounds interesting, I've never heard of a black kolsch. Does the colour come through in the taste?

It does a little. I used 5% Carafa3 but i will try adding late in the mash next time. It could be a bit darker as well. A very nice beer though, i tried a bottle then drank 2 more and got the thumbs up from my Mrs.
t.gif

Odds & Sods pale ale:-
HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Odds & Sods Pale Ale
Author: A G Milner
Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: English IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 22 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 28.5 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.045
Efficiency: 76% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.058
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV (standard): 6.32%
IBU (tinseth): 45.07
SRM (morey): 8.83
FERMENTABLES:
5 kg - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (94.3%)
125 g - Torrified Wheat (2.4%)
180 g - United Kingdom - Crystal 90L (3.4%)
HOPS:
20 g - Summit, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 17, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 37.42
20 g - Challenger, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 7.65
30 g - Challenger, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 7, Use: Dry Hop for 4 days
23 g - Mosaic, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 4 days
MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Sparge, Temp: 65 C, Time: 60 min, Amount: 20 L
Starting Mash Thickness: 4 L/kg
YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 81%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 12.22 - 25 C
Fermentation Temp: 22 C

Been in the keg for 2 weeks now, nice but would not drink too much of it at this ABV!
Cheers

Double Hop And Single Malt: "DHaME".
SG at 1072 instead of 1078, but the rest checked out nicely. Tastes fresh, good hoppy, enough bit of body. Bit early for a beer like this...

20171005_172745_HDR.jpg

DHaME - Beer Recipe - Brewer's Friend.jpg

Mrs Clint picked me up a meantime winter spiced porter from Marks. ..OK but too early in the year methinks. She also got me a cornish pale ale brewed by St Austell which is nice.

A few bottles of a dead pony club clone that I made a while back, the hoppiness has stayed well in this one.

I had to rush over to London this week.... and had a pint of Landlord in a Truemens pub....all a bit sureal

Just had a first taste of a Wilko Sweet Newkie Brown with a UK Cascade hop tea and a Fuggles dry hop. My beloved hijacked a bottle and really, really likes it............Houston, I think we have a problem. Following it up with a Better Brew Export Lager and then over the road for a couple of bottles of Abbot, gotta love a Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back