What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've sorted out a simple all grain set up over the last few months, el-cheapo mash tun etc. so the last job was a Pico digital boiler - got last week, must say it seems to work very well. So - this morning I did my first OG brew

4kg. pale malt
250grm. crystal (120)
1 hour mash at 66c.
boil liquid 21.5 lit.
12grm.Summit at start of boil
20grm. Mosaic for last 10 min of boil
The post boil gravity was 1052 for 18 lit. (I use a refractometer) I'll re check this before I pitch the yeast (US05)
I'm now waiting till it gets to below 80c. then adding 25grm. Mosaic.
My flat now smells rather nice!
A smallish brew, but if I end up with 30 half lit. bottles of decent beer I'll be well pleased
My thanks to the chaps at Stockport Home Brew Shop, and the kind young man at Remedy bar in Stockport for help and advice.
I'll keep you all posted as to the final result.
Cheers:)

Brewed my first All-Grain on Saturday using a BIAB set up with a pot and burner bought from a member on this forum. It's a British Brown Ale I chose because of the simple brew schedule (just one hope addition right at the start).

The temperature dropped more than I'd hoped during the mash-in, even though I've insulated the pot. Hope it won't affect the beer too much.

Any thoughts on what to aim for in my next brew?

Well done on your first AG:thumb:
I always have a handy kettle of freshly boiled water when mashing in in case it drops lower than expected. Also at the half way stir.

Rebrewing my Pale Ale tonight due to popular demand! 😂

3kg Maris Otter
250g Cara
250g Victory
50g Amarillo @ 60 mins
75g Mosaic @ 60 mins
Then I'll dry hop 30g of each for 4 days when fermented.

87596ce9aea606e09435b01ac9f4578c.jpg

Racked my youngs IPA off the dry hop yesterday so I can bottle it at the weekend. Tonight I put on my second coopers stout with a kg of dark DME, half a tin of treacle and 250g of brown sugar, lovely brew when it's done.
That's the last of my full size kit brews done. I've got the kit and ingredients in ready to do a partial mash RIS and then a Black IPA next, 12 litres to start soon as the brewfridge is free. Can't wait!

Kegged my winter Wherry clone last week (a bit stronger than recipe due to higher efficiency) with a cheeky keg hop to perk things up.

That left the FV free so yesterday I brewed a Sixpoint Resin clone. 7kg of grain plus 750g dextrose. By far the biggest mash I've done in the ACE so far.

Recirculation was trouble free (now I've sorted out my air block issue! [emoji4]) and I ended up 4 points over preboil gravity with 2 litres extra!

I ended up with 25 litres in the FV at 1078. Should end up at 9% if my massive WLP090 pitch was calculated right (fingers crossed) otherwise I'll be sipping barley wine for the next year.

Not brewed today but added some dry hops.Brewed on 21/1/2017 with 4.445kg maris otter,280g od caramalt and 320g of amber malt.20g of cascade at the boil,20g chinook and 9g crystal(oops,thought I had more) at 20mins and 20g of ahtanum and cascade at flame out. SG is 1.012 from 1.048 so added 30g of ahtanum and cascade.I will leave it for 5 days and bottle.
The last one of these I brewed didnt last long once bottled but I have kept a few bottles back.It will be interesting to try them side by side.

Brewed a version of Mikkeller's "Monk's Brew". First recipe I've tried from that book & first kit order I've tried (custom grain kit from @Get_er_brew). Also first time I've played with chemistry (gypsum & campden additions)
Had to do some substitutions (GeB only do Light candi, not dark) & a bit of guesswork (battery on sugar-weighing scales went A over T)

Ended up with:
Batch size 10l
Grains/sugars:
1.45 kg Pilsner malt
1.45 kg Pale malt
275 g (ish) Muscavado sugar
300 g (ish) light candi sugar

mashed @67oC
Hops:
Northern Brewer 10g 60 min
Hallertau Mitt. 15g 30 min
Styrian G 10g 30 min
[Irish Moss @ 15 min with the sugars]

Pitched 1 re-hydrated pack of MJ M47 Trappist

OG 1.080 (recipe said 1.090, but happy enough with that)

Looking forward to seeing how it comes out :)

Well, today I brewed a 20 litre batch of Scottish 80/- beer. Hit the 1.043 OG spot on!

Friday night was bottling night - my Baltic Porter. OG was 1.083 with an FG of 1.021. Not as low as I was aiming for, but then my mash temp was a little too high (70C), so I was expecting this.

Still, an ABV of 8.2% is pretty good!

Just reminded me why I hate bottling. As I wanted to age this somewhat, I could not afford to tie up one of my kegs for this. Also I have to send some to my dad - I brewed this at his request!

Last night to keep me awake during the late night for the Super Bowl, I did a brew. I decided to do a split mash and create two different beers.

I started with a 5kg Vienna malt mash, 75mins at 65C. I used half of the wort to make a SMaSH golden ale with Baveria Manderina, hopping at 30, 10, 5 and 0 minutes. British ale yeast.

The other half I then mini mashed 1kg of pale rye malt. Hopped this with Chinook, Cascade and Simcoe to make an IPA focussed mainly on the piney-resiney-spicy end rather than the citrus end. I figure this works better with the rye malt. US-05 yeast.

I got 12 litres of the SMaSH and just over 10 litres of the IPA into the FV. I realised I should have taken slightly more than half for the rye mini mash as obviously it absorbed some liquid.

Both bubbling away nicely this morning.

On Sunday I brewed a Czech pilsner using the Greg Hughes recipe, all went well I thought still no sign of activity 2 days later :(

Its in my brew fridge at 12oC and I tried rousing, the FV is new so shouldn't be leaky and ive bought a new S shape airlock too....im hoping its just a late developer....

On Sunday I brewed a Czech pilsner using the Greg Hughes recipe, all went well I thought still no sign of activity 2 days later :(

Its in my brew fridge at 12oC and I tried rousing, the FV is new so shouldn't be leaky and ive bought a new S shape airlock too....im hoping its just a late developer....

What yeast did you use?

Hint of a krausen now when I shine a light through the FV!! Been steadily turning the temp up and jiggling it though

Brewed the Greg Hughes Californian common yesterday. Had a og of 1056 that's a wopping 80%efichency thanks to a new malt mill! thinking I'm going to need to tone down my recipes:whistle:
Just pitched MJ Californian larger yeast that ill try and keep at 17.5c

Patience. Both yeasts are slow working and yeast takes longer at that temp. Also lager yeasts tend to be bottom fermenters

Back