What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm doing my American Wheat with Mandarina Bavaria. I've started a thread about it purely because @get_er_brew gave me free liquid yeast if I gave it a review both on here and their website.

Just done a quick Brewferm Framboos tonight. Had to split it between 2 FVs as it's a 12l kit. Hopefully there won't be too much headspace with 8l in the 10l bucket and 4l in the 5l bucket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dry hops into my two brews from last Sunday night. 25g Manderina Bavaria into the SMaSH and 25g each of Cascade and Simcoe into the Rye IPA.

Did my first ever partial mash today, the RIS in home brew beer by GReg Hughes. Swapped some DME for Maris otter and mashed it with the speciality malts first, got everything else into the big pot for the boil which has got another ten minutes to go before heat off. It's gone remarkably well so far I'm quite aurprised TBH. Interested to see if I get my target 13l in the FV and what the OG is.

Brew#12: AG#11

Small batch take on Mikkeller's Green Gold recipe

2.1 kg Pilner malt
300 g Caramunich I
300 g Munich I
300 g Flaked oats
25 g Simcoe @60
10 g Cascade @15
1 tsp Irish Moss @5
10 g Amarillo @1

planning on adding
10 g Hallertau Blanc*
10 g Amarillo
as dry hop.
*recipe calls for Santiam which GEB didn't have, so I opted for this. How's that sound to you lot ? ;) I;ve some Perle, Saaz and Colombus knocking about if anyone reckons they'd be a better fit?

Hit 9.5 litres @OG = 1.070 (aiming for 1.069) & pitched rehydrated M42

Fingers crossed!

The Cornish Tin Miners ale I bottled in late August is a really fine drink right now and today's brew is very similar. I had no Crystal malt, so used ~ 425g each of Biscuit and Caramalt as well as just over 5kg of Maris Otter.

Hops were 22g Admiral @ 60 mins and then 15+15g of First Gold and Bramling Cross @15mins and the same again @ 0mins. US 05.

Today's mash was a bit slow to recirculate through the Grainfather, so I gave it an extra 10 mins or so before mashing out. Got a lot of break material through to the FV as well, but not as much as in the days of doing partial mash brews with 12L from a stove top mash and a one can kit.

Then I wasted the rest of the day watching the rugby and drinking up lowish strength kit beer bottled back in May / June. Tasted pretty good, TBH after 6 months in the bottles. :thumb:

This beer has turned out basically horrible, with a very noticeable medicinal sort of aftertaste. The taste seems consistent with having left a lot of cleanser / steriliser in the FV, or something. It gets worse the lower the temperature is.

So this afternoon, I was watching the rugby and drinking this beer by keeping my tongue up against the roof of my mouth and trying not to breathe until it had all gone down the hatch.

Very annoying, It does not taste like the sort of thing that is going to get any better with time, either.

Possible factors - it was the last of 9 re-cycled yeast bottles of US 05 from a brew racked in mid-August? Still just tastes of cleaning fluid, though.

Put on last night after bottling my midas touch ale...John Bull ipa with a tin of coopers light malt extract and a spare 500g bag of light spraymalt. .
Just couldn't make time to try my grains..

Cheers

Clint

This beer has turned out basically horrible, with a very noticeable medicinal sort of aftertaste. The taste seems consistent with having left a lot of cleanser / steriliser in the FV, or something. It gets worse the lower the temperature is.

So this afternoon, I was watching the rugby and drinking this beer by keeping my tongue up against the roof of my mouth and trying not to breathe until it had all gone down the hatch.

Very annoying, It does not taste like the sort of thing that is going to get any better with time, either.

Possible factors - it was the last of 9 re-cycled yeast bottles of US 05 from a brew racked in mid-August? Still just tastes of cleaning fluid, though.

This sounds like it:

Medicinal
These flavors are often described as mediciney, Band-Aid? like, or can be spicy like cloves. The cause are various phenols which are initially produced by the yeast. Chlorophenols result from the reaction of chlorine-based sanitizers (bleach) with phenol compounds and have very low taste thresholds. Rinsing with boiled water after sanitizing is the best way to prevent these flavors.

Source:

http://howtobrew.com/book/section-4/is-my-beer-ruined/common-off-flavors

At the moment I'm not brewing anything, no time these days. BUT few month ago I brewed a beer quite special and out of the box. Lot's of my friends and family didn't like it so I won't start again and give you the recipe :) But it's good to have some new ideas from here :) Thanks!

just made up a john bull best bitter kit.that I got from Tesco direct sale
I have three more to make but no more fv to do them

Maris Otter + 8% crystal (50L)
Perle => 21 IBU's
"Fuller's Strain" Wyeast 1968
OG 1048
Decided to do the same recipe as a brew from last year, I rated it as one of my best brews ever. I had EKG last year ... Perle this year ... it won't be exactly the same brew.

Just made up a John bull lager 1.8kg kit, didn't have any enhancer or brewing sugar to hand so just used 1kg of caster sugar. Hope it turns out OK.

Didn't brew anything today but tonight I did bottle 17 pints of rye IPA, 21 of golden ale and bake a dozen cupcakes and a tray of brownies. The brownies are sour cherry and pink peppercorn, which I am now giving serious consideration to flavouring a Weissbeer with now!

Last night popped on a Young harvest Pilsner with 1kg brewing sugar and .5kg light spray malt, using saflager S-23 yeast and fermenting at 11 degrees, plan is to give this one a health dry hop of either Mosaic or Amarillo. which ever one I do I will use the other on the next kit( you gotta love the tesco sale!!). Also took my Harvest lager that has had a good does of cascade dry hop and put it into the lagering fridge to site for 4-6 weeks.

Last night popped on a Young harvest Pilsner with 1kg brewing sugar and .5kg light spray malt, using saflager S-23 yeast and fermenting at 11 degrees, plan is to give this one a health dry hop of either Mosaic or Amarillo. which ever one I do I will use the other on the next kit( you gotta love the tesco sale!!). Also took my Harvest lager that has had a good does of cascade dry hop and put it into the lagering fridge to site for 4-6 weeks.

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Another fishing trip cancelled due to bad weather..
So decided to make the misses a raspberry wheat, didn't quite have all the ingredients so...

Wheat 2.3
MO 1.4
MO ex light .790
Larger .525
70 min boil
Target 15g @ 50 min
Irish moss @ 15

I'm going to pitch this on the yeast cake from a Californian Common that will be ready in a couple of days and add 2.5k of frozen raspberry's on day two or three of fermentation.
That should cheer her up:thumb:

Didn't intend on brewing today,but kept myself awake this afternoon(bad night) and slung on ,and slung is the operative word:doh:a 7 litre,hastily adjusted to a 10 litre brew of Black (extract ) IPA .
How the heck it will come out is anyone's guess:whistle:

Bottled and 5ltr Kegged a Munich Helles Lager and brewed a U.S Steam Beer , out the country from tomorrow night until 18th march so it will have to take care of its self.

Back