What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Pale Ale today with Belgian yeast - MJ 31.

MO 4kg
Munich 1kg
Biscuit 200g
Aromatic 300g
Golden Syrup 800g

Northern Brewer 20g @ First Wort
EKG 15g @ 15m
First Gold 40g @ 0m

Another brew with no problems in the GF. The Golden Syrup was home-made and a bit watery. Original Gravity 1.057 according to the "bobbeler" :thumb:

Sounds fun, what was the OG mate?

My mead is ready for bottling and I need another fun ferment for the demijohn

Mine was 1.042 measured at 4 litres, will be 1.038 at 4.5 litres when I top up. That matched the calculated OG as well. Should be about 5% at 0.999

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An attempt at an AIPA.

Didn't quite work to plan though. The boil gravity was higher than I anticipated, so I upped the hops to increase the IBU. However, I then didn't get as much evaporation loss as I expected so came short on OG! So now the ABV will be a bit low and it's a little higher BU:GU than I wanted. Should still be OK though.

Coopers Dark Ale kit

500g dark DME
500g dark muscovado sugar
500g soft dark brown sugar
approx. 200g golden syrup

Brewed 22L

Og 1.055

Gonna dry hop (Fuggles) towards end of ferment.

This ones for me Dad. :thumb:

8 days on and it was noticeably quieter, though I know the lid is a bit iffy. Anyway, curiosity got the better - and it is at 1.014 already, and I'll leave it a while yet. Tasted nice (I'd dropped some Fuggles pellets in there a day or so ago). Nice bitterness. Definite dark sugar undertone. If it 'boils down' a couple more points, then matures, with a bit of carbonation - it'll be a canny drop.

11 days on - no further sign of activity. Took a reading of 1.008

about 3.4% abv? Probably ready-ish. Will re-read on Weds night.

Tasted the sample. Dry. Surprisingly subtle orange. Definite coriander hint.

Wish I'd hoyed in a bag of light DME, though. :-(

Ice-cold, fizzy......might be ok.

Sounds OK. ..a nice session beer. I got one you for next...gonna try a partial wheat mash with it and maybe either saaz or mandarina bavaria.

Thanks Clint - I was a bit out of my depth with this one. It's clarifying quite nicely....still a little cloud. I popped one in the fridge last night.

When I finished work tonight, I had it with my tea. Tell you what, I'll be making that again. No real orangeyness, just a really clean citrus, with a lovely warm spice from the coriander. Refreshing, and just a touch drying.

More-ish.

Can't wait until it is properly ready.

Brewing up 5 litres of Partial mash lightish Mild(not a dark one),whilst downing someone elses home brew's:thumb:
Just a simple low abv mild,should be around 3.5% or so,on the boil now and smells Mmmm Mmmm:lol:

Set a Woodfords Bure Gold going with Crossmyloof real ale yeast, had a spoon full of the malt could of eaten half a tin it was gorgeous tasting.

Brewing up 6 litres of Partial mash lightish Mild(not a dark one),whilst downing someone elses home brew's:thumb:
Just a simple low abv mild,should be around 3.5% or so,on the boil now and smells Mmmm Mmmm:lol:
Just got that into the FV,OG at 1.032 as expected,probably come out around 3.4%, a nice abv for sitting in the garden with on a hot day

8 days on and it was noticeably quieter, though I know the lid is a bit iffy. Anyway, curiosity got the better - and it is at 1.014 already, and I'll leave it a while yet. Tasted nice (I'd dropped some Fuggles pellets in there a day or so ago). Nice bitterness. Definite dark sugar undertone. If it 'boils down' a couple more points, then matures, with a bit of carbonation - it'll be a canny drop.

1.011 today. Not as 'plummy' as I'd hoped....but not bad. Test again on Saturday. Maybe bottle at the weekend.

I've got the mash for my NEIPA on now. It's started a bit lower than planned but that's not necessarily a bad thing because I believe the yeast I've chosen (MJ Empire Ale) has a tendency to attenuate quite low.

I'm super excited about this one.

3.5kg Irish Pale Malt
500g Oat Malt
250g Wheat malt
150g Caramunich II
200g Caster Sugar

5g Falconers Flight - FWH
45g Falconers Flight - flame out
40g Mosaic - flameout

55g Falconers Flight - dry hop 1
30g Mosaic - dry hop 1

55g Falconers Flight - dry hop 2
30g Mosaic - dry hop 2

SG 1.053
FG 1.014

I've got the mash for my NEIPA on now. It's started a bit lower than planned but that's not necessarily a bad thing because I believe the yeast I've chosen (MJ Empire Ale) has a tendency to attenuate quite low.

3.5kg Irish Pale Malt
500g Oat Malt
250g Wheat malt
150g Caramunich II
200g Caster Sugar

40g Mosaic - flameout

30g Mosaic - dry hop 1

30g Mosaic - dry hop 2

SG 1.053
FG 1.014

I moved my FV from the kitchen to my brew cupboard this morning (didn't move it last night because I didn't want to wake the kids) and the smell of tropical fruit was amazing!

3.5kg Irish Pale Malt
500g Oat Malt
250g Wheat malt
150g Caramunich II
200g Caster Sugar

40g Mosaic - flameout

30g Mosaic - dry hop 1

30g Mosaic - dry hop 2

SG 1.053
FG 1.014
I'm wondering why you've added 200g of sugar to an AG bill when you could simply used extra grain to extract the natural sugar 🍷

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm wondering why you've added 200g of sugar to an AG bill when you could simply used extra grain to extract the natural sugar 🍷

The yeast I've used is prone to stopping at 65% attenuation. My understanding is that sugar is 100% converted by yeast, and grain isn't, so it will help get my attenuation into my target 70-75% range.

The actual Vermont yeast stain recommends adding 5-10% sugar to the grain bill for this reason.

The yeast I've used is prone to stopping at 65% attenuation. My understanding is that sugar is 100% converted by yeast, and grain isn't, so it will help get my attenuation into my target 70-75% range.

The actual Vermont yeast stain recommends adding 5-10% sugar to the grain bill for this reason.
Never thought about that though I would have maybe tried an alternative yeast with a higher attenuation efficiency but if that works happy days 🍺

Never thought about that though I would have maybe tried an alternative yeast with a higher attenuation efficiency but if that works happy days 🍺

It's about the yeast character though. NEIPAs usually use either the Vermont strain or a fruity English yeast, neither of which are usually high attenuators. I researched the yeast quite a lot for this beer.

Latest posts

Back